UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Ridgeback is in full throws of adolescence at 7 months. His hormones are obviously going berserk and he wants to hump any dog he sees, male or female.

I'm increasingly feeling pressured to get him neutered but isn't it too early for a large breed? We were thinking of showing him but obviously we'd have to keep him entire and I'm not sure I can cope with how he is now, or will that calm down anyway once his hormones have settled?

Yesterday I went on an organised dog walk and for the onlead parts the partner of my dog trainer had to walk him as I physically couldn't hold him (that's another issue that needs sorting). He said about 'getting him done' but I don't want to cause permenant problem by getting him done too early, when we could holdoff on a temporary problem.

My husband thinks we should wait until he's about 18 months old and he has had large breeds before. My husband has been away a lot and is back later this week so he can see his behaviour first hand.

I just feel like people are rolling their eyes at his behaviour and saying he should be 'done'. His behaviour is fine in the house and generally when we are walking he's just getting very frisky with the ladies (and men).

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
There is a nother possability to play for some extra time.
Superlorin is an implant that helps reduce tesosterone (and unwanted realted behaviour) that lasts 6 months.
U could use that time to do some serious training while his mind and hormones have less distractions, then consider having him done at a later date.
I do agree that early neutering of bigger breeds can and does affect the growth. However u need to be able to live with him so in your eyes which is worse?
A dog whom is smaller or a dog who only has 1 thing on his mind?
Not had any experience of superlorin myself so only going on the data sheet.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Why do you want to neuter him? Apart from him being s teenager and of course very hormonal steered for a while, I don't see any behavior from him as a problem caused by unruly hormones? And that kind of problem are the only ones that will be solved by neutering! I have never heard of dogs having growth problems due to neutering, but I am not very experienced with large breeds yet.

If you weren't thinking of neutering him in the first place, I wouldn't. If he gets too bad with the hormons through the teenage period, rather have a so called chemical neutering, as mentioned above. Either a chip or a shot that temporarily "neuters" him. We used that on my dog because of aggression issues, and I am so incredibly happy today that we did not actually neuter him! Neutering is not without issues either, and surgery is always a risk, no matter how small or common. Also, he will definitely calm down as he grows up!

Btw, humping can also be signs of stress (more commonly actually) rather than sexual behavior or "dominance". Try to see the context and whether he might get to much or too little of either physical or mental activity.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. From what I've read it's not just the issue of growth, it can also cause them to be 'stuck' in puppy/adolesence if they haven't mentally matured and they can also give off a scent to entire males much like a bitch, so then they get humped! Also I've heard soem dogs become fearful if done too young.

I'm not even sure the excitability is all to do with hormones, or some is just puppy/teenage behaviour.

I don't think it's stress. He's not humping objects or people and is pretty chilled around the house. We have to be careful not to overwalk him but he gets two walks per day of between 30-40 minutes. I also do quite a bit of training with him to mentally stimulate him. The humping has co-incided with leg cocking so I'm assuming he just has rampany hormones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.