Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When to let them on the grass....

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by manxbabe, Jul 28, 2009.

1. manxbabe

manxbabe PetForums Newbie

Hi To Everyone,

My baby bunnies are now 5weeks old and doing really well,eating like mad and drinking from the water bottle.I would like to know when can i let them on the grass with mom.They have been out on the patio a couple of times and love it,hopping and jumping about like crazy.

Also when do you think is the best time for me to take them from mom and put her in her own cage.All advice welcome please.:)

2. frags

frags PetForums VIP

hi hun.
    i gradually introduce gras from 6 weeks but only sprinkle a few blades in a time each. i know a breeder who put a litter on the grass at 5 weeks old and the whole litter died that night of bloat.
    i tell my new owners not to put them on grass straight away but to gradually build up the amount they eat and not before 12 weeks old.

i remove my buns from mum at about 8-10 weeks old but they are giants and should be with mum a bit longer anyway.
    not sure what breed you have but some become sexually mature sooner than others.

3. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I'm sure an hour wouldnt do them any harm unless all their doing is eating the grass

deff split the boys from girls before 12 weeks, If mum looks like shes getting pissed off with them then I guess at 8 - 10 weeks depending on breed

4. frags

frags PetForums VIP

grass can harm them tho, there tums cant always handle greenary

5. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I know, I had a rabbit as a teen who never ate grass until we got him a friend who showed him how to very weird, so think a little grass is good before they leave I forgot they were so young

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice