UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is the best time to take a Shihtzu puppy to be groomed for the first time?

I will start getting her used to being brushed and handled immediately but I saw a clip online of a lady who shaves the dogs bottom slightly to enable her to keep it cleaner and she also clipped the nails before bathing the puppy at 11wks. These sorts of things I would like to be shown by a professional before attempting to do it myself.

I'd like my shihtzu to have a shorter coat (but still the beautiful tail and ears) so what age is best to begin complete grooming? Are the anal glands expressed whilst they are in for grooming?

Thanks! x

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ideally, you should take your pup in asap for a puppy groom, which is normally a bath and brush out, nail cutting and clipping around the bum and trimming around the eyes and feet. It is essential for them to get used to professional grooming from as young as possible or they may end up hating it for the rest of their lives if left until they are over one year old for their first time.

I empty anal glands every time I get an adult dog, but I check to see if they need doing first. I wouldn't imagine a puppy would need this doing, it's something that's only really done if it's needed. Not all groomers offer it as part of their service and Pets at Home charge an extra £5 for it, so it's worth asking when you book.

I wouldn't have tought all groomers would be happy to show you how to clip nails yourself etc because we make money from offering the service. I would be happy to show my regular clients but it's a bit cheeky for someone who's never used me before lol.

I advise my puppy owners to avoid clipping the dog's coat before they're one because they normally end up looking a bit strange until they have got their adult coat, and a tidy up is all that's needed if you maintain good brushing at home.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.