UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...

I am about to return to work and am wondering the best time to feed my 5 month flat coat retriever.

She currently has about 150g dry food at 730am, 12md and 5pm.

On the days i will be working I will be leaving at 830, a friend will be calling in at lunchtime, and one of us will be home for 5pm if not earlier.

She seems to do a formed poo first thing after Brekkie, and then poo several times further during the day - today she must have done 6 decent poos...altho they get softer as the day progresses.

So, I want to avoid her needing a poo during the day if at all possible, in a bid to avoid accidents thus distressing her.

Hoping someone can offer advice to minimise this...I was thinking something like 150g breakfast, 50g lunch and 250g time?

We also have a 8 week old mini daxie who as seems to eat so little, we were planning on Leaving a bowl of dry food in her crate, with water too.

Both dogs will be let out for the toilet and played with for half hour or so at lunchtime. At the mo, the flattie will have a good walk in the morning after Brekkie and after tea too, with daxie joining in post injections etc...

Thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
Seems like a long time for both dogs to be left with only 1/2 hours company. How are you going to housetrain the daxie pup when it will be in a crate for 8 hours a day? do you have someone who could come in more frequently?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not every day I will be working, and after this next week (once a family member has returned from staying with another relative post op) they will spend time with family member too. it's just unfortunate that three evènts have coincided - pup/ op/ working

Daxie is house trained already and doings really well. Started some ither training today - fingers crossed as seem to go well. We have kongs that we freeze etc for them too.

My query was regarding meal size and when to feed to promote best toilet habits
Flattie could have her lunch in a frozen kong for example. They both could for that matter!!
Thanks

·
Registered
856 Posts
Personally I would go to 2 meals a day for the flattie :)

Also I would not leave a bowl of food for the mini daxi to graze on all day. Feed her set meals too :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.