Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When to do first cut?

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by Sorrels Mum, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Sorrels Mum

Sorrels Mum PetForums Junior

My puppy is now 15 weeks old and has a beautiful soft coat which gets a good brushing at least every other day - she is a Yorkie/Bichon cross.

Can anyone offer advice on when she should have her first cut.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

OMG she's gorgeous Ann. If I find out where you live I'm coming to steal her, Poppy would love a little playmate :D.

We had Poppy's first groom at 4 months, so roughly the same age as Sorrel is now. Even if she doesn't need much off it's best to get them used to it as they're going to have to have it done for the rest of their lives. Have you chosen a groomer or got a recommendation? We don't have a choice, it's a case of use the local one 5 mins up the road or travel an hour's journey to the next nearest and I don't like the way that one grooms a neighbour's Bichon. Poppy would be car sick anyway :(.

We've taken Poppy every 4-6 weeks on average and from what our groomer Julie (one woman business) tells us she's very good. I'm not so sure she likes going as Julie talks quite loud and is very confident with dogs, been doing it for donkeys years, so just gets on with it. She doesn't do baby talk to them but she does talk and tells them they're a sweetheart, etc. She doesn't tether them, lets them have a little wander if they like. Poppy walks in and promptly goes and hides under a shelf. Was a bit worried the other day as she didn't even want to go in the door :eek:.

Once Poppy's got her adult coat I think it may require less cuts as it will be curly (we'll have to wait and see), not sure if that will happen with Sorrel's.

I am so loving your new photo. Please post another one when she's had her hair cut.

3. DaisytheTT

DaisytheTT PetForums Senior

The professional groomers will be able to give you a better idea than I, but we got a groomer in when Daisy was 4 months just to get her used to the idea of being trimmed. That groomer told me they like to see them as young as possible so they can get used to being handled/clipped etc. He just did a tidy up (albeit quite a radical one :yikes: )

We groom Daisy ourselves and trim around her face but I am about to go back to the groomers as she will need a full body trim very soon.

Your puppy is a very pretty girl by the way :)

4. welshdoglover

welshdoglover PetForums Senior

As a groomer I'd like to say that the most important thing to do for your dog is to get her used to standing on a table, feeling and hearing the sound of clippers/scissors and getting used to having her feet/nails handled and ears looked into.

See if you can find a local grooming salon that'll let you take the dog there and I'm sure they'll put her on the table for a minute or too. She'll also get used to the sounds and smells of the place.

Remember, a well behaved well brushed dog will be cheaper to groom than one who flips and spins and behaves like a psycho :tongue_smilie:

5. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Firstly... My god your pup is gorgeous.. So adorable :D
    It all depends on the coat. It is nice to have pups come into the salon early on so that they get use to the process.. We have a Scottie pup coming in next week who is 13weeks old. If you have a groomer in mind, pop in and discuss with them, you can maybe book her in from a was and dry and maybe a slight trim. We have a little puppy maltese who comes in at the moment and she only gets a little trim, she's still to get to the bathing state.
    Again your pup is adorable :D

6. Sorrels Mum

Sorrels Mum PetForums Junior

Thanks all for your help - and for your lovely comments about Sorrel.

We are blessed with a lot of local groomers so will contact a couple to see about taking her for a dry run.

She is handled every day, I check her feet and ears and do a body check, but she is an excitable little dog so I tend to do it when she is a bit dopey.

No problems (so far) with bathing although we have only done it twice.

Had to put her in the bath for a rinse off yesterday when she got absolutely filthy at the park and she was fine - just hope it continues.

7. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

first clip is really dependant on coat... bischons usually need a regular clip.. every 8-10 weeks.. yorkies less.. as yours is a bit of both.. i would take it to a groomers and ask their advice.
    most pups we do start around 6mth old

8. Gopher

Gopher PetForums Senior

RIGHT AWAY!! My puppy is 14 weeks old this week and he just got back from his first cut this morning, he looks FABULOUS :D

He's a shihtzu x chihuahua and has quite a lot of fluff so I wanted to get him used to "trims" early on, I e-mailed the groomer and they agreed saying it was definately better to get them started early and she grooms her own puppies at around 3 weeks of age.

She had quoted me £25 for the bath, trim (especially face, legs and bottom), nail cut and blow dry which I thought was very reasonable but in the end she would only take £10 because he's so small ;)

I'll post pictures soon, he looks GREAT and is now crashed out after such a busy morning!!

9. alibescat

alibescat PetForums Junior

The sooner the better, many groomers offer free or reduced rates for a puppy groom -

I do £10 puppy grooms which means a bath brush and dependant on if the pup is ready a nice gentle trim, introduce them to the noise and smell of the place and have a play to make it a positive experience.

A Bichon x Yorkie will need to be groomed approx every 8 weeks. The groomer should only clip the dog when it needs doing and you should specify what you would like - long short etc etc - best to go speak to a local groomer.

If you would like to PM me your area I may know someone ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice