Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When to cut back food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kirstd78, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Kirstd78

Kirstd78 PetForums Member

My adopted male cat is approx 10-12 months old (we don't know exactly as they were ferals rescued from a farm) and in the 3 months I have him he's grown from approx 3.4kg to 4.3kg as I've pretty much allowed him to eat whatever he wants over 3-4 meals per day. He's grown really well and looks to be thriving.... Perhaps a little bit too much as he's now looking a tad porky! Should I start to ration his food a bit more now given that he may well now be 1? I should say he's fed a combo of raw, and commercial wet food eg bozita, catz, feringa and lily's, very little dry (maybe a few pieces of dreamies/day)

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I wouldn't say that 4.3kg is overweight - my boy is 11 and 3.60kg and looks skinny to me ! (although our vet thinks he's perfect :), but as a black cat lover she's biased anyway:D)
    At 1 year yours is still a kitten and general advice is to let kittens eat as much as they want as just growing up uses a lot of energy !

A body conditioning score chart is more useful in determining over or under weight - like this one (my boy scores 3 -4)
    bodycondition_cat_new97187.jpg

3. Kirstd78

Thanks berties mum, that's actually really useful, looking at him vs the chart I would say he's a good 6! Based on that should I be cutting him back a bit? He's predominately an indoor cat but will go out for an hr early evening, maybe I'll get him playing a bit more burn some calories off!

4. Maurey

Maurey Maine Coon Madness

What’s his coat like? If it’s plush/dense, it may be difficult to assess body condition — I had a vet tell me Jum needed to lose weight back when she was actively growing, when, in fact, she was slightly underweight. All because she has a very dense, long coat haha.

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I recommend you get a baby scale and weigh him every couple of weeks. This will tell you whether he needs to cut back and and you can judge by how much, by regular weighing. I'd eliminate treats and kibble before reducing his real food. Kibble and treats, if part of the diet, are usually the culprits of weight gain or obesity.

Feed three meals a day, keeping a record so you know how much he is eating.

He sounds lovely. :)

Maurey likes this.
  6. Kirstd78

IMG_20210417_192255.jpg IMG_20210417_192255.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Kirstd78

Thanks so much I've been weighing him bi-weekly so I think I'll carry on for a while longer at least. He really doesn't like kibble, he's a meat man so no worries there but also like a boy he is a greedy guts and I'd hate to indulge him too much!

lorilu likes this.
  8. Bertie'sMum

I think before cutting back on his food I'd try to get him exercising more; just like us more calories in than calories out = weight gain !
    (I know you said he has 3 - 4 meals a day but how much food is involved each time - 100gr ? 85gr ? - mine is fed 3 times a day but rarely eats more than 50-60gr per meal, but then he's an adult and I know that kittens usually need more to keep up with their growing).).

lorilu and Maurey like this.
  9. Kirstd78

OK, so it's its tinned wet food he would eat 85-100g easily, and if it's raw he would eat 60-80g at a meal.
    Now they've settled (we have his mum also) we're fitting a cat flap so the can go outside as they wish (in the light)

10. Bertie'sMum

As raw is more filling than canned I'd try feeding 1 meal of canned and the other 2 - 3 meals of raw - that way you know that he's getting the nutrition he needs without any additional calories from grains or additives.

Going out will certainly help to increase his activity levels but I hope your garden is cat proofed so that he and Mum can explore in safety ?

lorilu and Kirstd78 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice