Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

When the time comes...

Discussion in 'Horse Health and Nutrition' started by ZodiacTide, Aug 4, 2018.

1. ZodiacTide

ZodiacTide Paw prints next to my footprints...

Hi guys,

I have a 23 year old who has been struggling this week moving around, very stiff & slow. Although, today she's been better than she has been for a while.

My question is, have any of you had to make that decision for an older horse?

What factors did you look at, what solidified the decision for you & did you ever waver on the decision?

My gut tells me I should let her go before things get worse, while she's happy and majority wise healthy but my heart then takes over and says to just wait, it's only a bad day, surely the bad days will just become more and more?

I know it's a horrible subject but I'm struggling.

2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I’ve never gone through it but have you discussed with a vet? There are options out there to try and help a stiff horse before I would consider PTS imo.
    I know some people don’t like supplements etc but there are some with good reviews and sometimes it can be worth giving it a go to see if things help.
    You can also try putting her on Bute and see if that helps.

Sorry you’re going through this. It’s awful when they get old

ZodiacTide likes this.
  3. ZodiacTide

Hi Teddy-dog,
    The trimmer is due out on Monday & if he states it's not her feet due to changes she's been going through, then I will be on the phone to the vet.
    Last winter I had her on a herbal anti-inflammatory as the yard we are on & the only yard near me that had space, they are in over night, out in the day but if it's majorly wet as we are on the coast they have to be stabled 24/7. The herbal stuff helped to a certain degree & helped to stop her legs filling overnight but it's not a long term solution. I refuse to have her on Bute or the likes just to keep her alive as such. She's an ex broodmare & I know in my heart of hearts that there is more going on with her internally than meets the eye.
    I'm just urming & arring as such. I won't keep her alive for my benefit as I standby one thing we can do for animals over people is to allow them to go free before they are stuck in a life of sadness & pain but I just don't want to regret it. I don't want her to suffer though.

I must admit, I know the vets will want to do extensive, costly tests which will result in the same outcome in the end. Being 23, she's retired but finds it rather uncomfortable just to walk to the field. I don't have the funds to do extensive tests & I don't want to put her through that. She would have to go to the Equine hospital & she doesn't travel, she hates it. I just don't know what to do for the best.

4. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I would seriously discuss it with a vet. They will be able to give you options. Is she still on the herbal stuff?

I’m not adverse to giving a bute a day for a stiff horse to feel comfortable. If she enjoys being out in the field and has a quality of life on a small amount of painkillers then why not? I know it’s a personal decision but I’d discuss with your vet. Yes, bute long term can cause issues but I think for a 23 year old, when the other option is to PTS anyway, it can be worth a try. Lots of humans take medication as they get older to help.
    If you tell the vets you don’t want to do extensive tests then they will help you with another way. If you just want to make her comfortable then they shouldn’t really need to do any tests.. they can also do some investigations at the yard so she might not have to travel.

ZodiacTide likes this.
  5. ZodiacTide

Thank you for that, she's my first ever horse and I'm struggling with the decision, I must admit.
    I will speak to them first thing Monday morning. She is on the herbal stuff, she's more comfortable today than she has been this week so, maybe with the constant changes in weather it's just how she is at the moment.

Thanks again x

6. ZodiacTide

I am absolutely chuffed to say that the trimmer came out on Monday and it seems her feet were giving her grief.

He's trimmed them again & she is SO much more comfortable. She's a big softie, very easily shows issues of pain.

I have decided to FULLY retire but she will remain with me until her time does come.

I have however found a cob local to me, who I am going to take on a project. Luka was my riding horse and as she is now being retired the cob should see out my riding days. Couldn't be any better.

7. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I missed this but that's great news

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice