Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When the testicles drop on a male puppy - large breed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by classixuk, Aug 2, 2009.

1. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Morning all,

Paddy did his usual 'rollover on my back, pleased to see you again' good morning routine today, and so I did my usual 'Good morning Paddy, here's your belly rub and kind words' routine.

During this routine, I often take the opportunity to check his underneath all over with my hand, from his chest to his armpits, feet to testicles etc. to make sure everything is as it should be.

This morning I noticed that his testicles feel notably larger, and very hard too, since the last check where they were more pea sized and barely noticeable.

He is 4 and a half months old. Is this the first sign of his testicles beginning to drop?

Many thanks for your advice.

2. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Hi,
    I am not sure what breed we r talking here but male r males;)
    It sounds as though u felt his glands penis rather than his testicals.
    When rubbing bellies they can get a little "excited" andthe 2 ball shaped glands either side of his prepuce swell and become hard.
    His testicals r probs still high in the groin area and wont fully descend for a few months (if we r talking giant breed).
    Sorry to be so personal;) but hope this info helps.

3. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

That's fantastic! You have hit the nail on the head. It sounds exactly like what happened. And it's not 'so personal' either, just educating me - so thanks for being so factual!

So the pea sized lumps I can usually feel at the base of the penis, are actually just glands? You know; I thought they seemed a bit too far forward on his chest to be testes!

Thanks for the information! I guess he was just excited to see me finally arrive as I slept for a full 12 hours last night. Poor sod must have thought I had forgotten him!

Edit: P.S. The breed is Bouvier Des Flandres! Thanks. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice