Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

when should i breed her

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by geni, Jul 14, 2009.

1. geni

geni PetForums Newbie

my cavalier king charles is almost 2 yr old, she is on heat and i dont know when i should breed her and ive no idea were i would get a stud:confused:

2. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

Why breed her at all ?

3. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

TBH i dont think you should,
    rescue centers are full of dogs needing forever homes,
    and peeps who just breed for the sake of it only add to the problem
    why do you want to breed from her,
    have you got people wanting pups from you,

4. rona

rona Guest

To be perfectly honest, it would be best not to breed at the moment, there are a lot of puppies not finding homes and even more ending up in rescues.
    You have a lot more time to decide if you really want to go ahead.
    Spend a little more time researching and leave the breeding until you have got everything in place and hopefully the recession is over.
    Ask a few more questions on here for the future, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that could help with your research

5. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

Has she had all the neccassary health test's that Cavvi's require before they are bred from?
    I personally never breed from abitch under 18 months old. She is old enough to be bred from now but it sounds like you may need to go and get yourself the book of the bitch and sit and learn as much as you can before breeding her, read through some of the threds on here about first time litters etc this will also help you.

There are a few Cavvi breeders on here who will be able to help you more with your breed but being a toy breed person myself I would be enclined to put you off breeding your girl if she is a much loved pet as there are enough pups out there at the moment who are not finding happy forever homes.

Hope I didn't sound to off.

take care

Sarah

6. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

why bother?? especially with your breed and all the the recent publicity. i personally wouldn't go down that route
    . For starters she's need all the relevant health tests.
    Wait. have a look round see what lines u like and wwhat are compatible with her lines.........choosing a stud involves alot of homework. you just don''t use any ole stud dog.. all the best.

i'm not having a go ........... just do more research before comtemplating a litter.

7. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

As a much loved pet, and if this is the first time you have had ideas of breeding a litter, do you think you will be prepared for some of the things that can go wrong, do you have the finances to pay for a bitch to have a c-sections should it be needed, do you know enough to recognise when the bitch is starting to whelp, or if she is in difficulty and when to help her or get the vet in. there is the added risk of either losing the pups, or the bitch in some cases, would you be able to stay up and feed new born pups every 2 hours in the first weeks of life if you lost your bitch. Many dog can and do have trouble free birth's but there is always the risk of something going wrong, especially when your not had much experience of breeding. yes 2 years of age is an ideal age to start thinking of breeding, but as other have said it is not an ideal market at this point in time with the credit crunch etc, many a new pups are not getting homes straight away. do you have any potential buyers lined up.

If she was mine i would seriously re think having a litter, but it is up to you, good luck in what you decide.:)

8. cav

cav PetForums VIP

Hi

I breed cavaliers and have done for quite a few years!
    As she had all the relevent clear health tests that the breed needs(heart,eyes & mri)?
    Is she a nice example of the breed ect?
    Is she kc reg
    Can you cover all the costs with breeding?
    Do you have homes lined up?
    These are just a few things to think about before you breed her please dont rush into it.

I think you would be best enjoying her and keeping her as your pet:)

If you need any more help or info send me a pm!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice