Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

When should I bond?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Pets_R_Me:), Mar 28, 2011.


  1. Pets_R_Me:)

    Pets_R_Me:) Guest

    Hi Guys,

    I have two rabbits - Spencer is a neutered male (8 months) and Millie is an un-neutered female (8 weeks). They play in the garden in two adjacent hutches and spend periods of the day rubbing noses or trying to clean each others ears that have poked through the run. I am therefore wondering if it is time to bond my babies? I have been holding off because I got Millie quite young - she was rejected by her mother - and have been giving her time to grow and develop, which she is doing at a very good rate :)

    She is a british giant x continental giant so is quite a big girl already, and Spencer is a laidback dude, always has been :)

    Any advice muchly appreciated. I want to bond them indoors before relocating them outdoors in the better weather. :D
     
  2. crofty

    crofty PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    May 2, 2008
    Messages:
    3,705
    Likes Received:
    202
    You need to get your doe spayed first and let her recover. I would wait until the weather is warmer and they've lost their winter coats so you can bring them in intially to keep an eye on them.
     
  3. Pets_R_Me:)

    Pets_R_Me:) Guest

    Why do I need to get her spayed first?
     
  4. Tammy0407

    Tammy0407 PetForums Member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2009
    Messages:
    229
    Likes Received:
    1
    I have a question for you sorry, its a little unrelated.

    i was just wondering how you guy deals with a bigger girl?! Sounds silly but i have found a giant girl who i am thinking of getting for my lone guy and was wondering if it works well....Any advice?
     
  5. B3rnie

    B3rnie Guest

    It's best to get her spayed first because you will have to split them when you spay her whilst she heals, and then will have to re-bond over again. Also it makes sure that no hormones get in the way of bonding ;)
     
  6. Stufi

    Stufi PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    0
    I agree that you should get her spayed first as it is not just to stop little Babies appearing but is the best in the long run health wise and unspayed females are more likely to suffer from medical issues.

    I would also wait a little while until 'Spring fever' has calmed down a bit so that you are not trying to do it whilst hormones are all over the place for both of them
     
  7. crofty

    crofty PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    May 2, 2008
    Messages:
    3,705
    Likes Received:
    202
    It works just the same, as long as they are both spayed and bonded properly on neutral territory there is no problem :)
     
  8. crofty

    crofty PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    May 2, 2008
    Messages:
    3,705
    Likes Received:
    202
    All does unless there is a medical reason not too should be spayed as 80% develop cancer of the uterus otherwise. Also does can be extremely hormonal so if you get her spayed and give her a few weeks to settle you will find them easier to bond. :)
     
  9. Pets_R_Me:)

    Pets_R_Me:) Guest

    Thanks guys. When can I get her spayed? My vet said 5 months, is this correct?

    Would it be OK to move Spencer outdoors when the weather is better and keep her as a house rabbit for the time being, then when she is ready move her out after bonding?
     
  10. crofty

    crofty PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    May 2, 2008
    Messages:
    3,705
    Likes Received:
    202
    Yes it usually 5-6 months however its really when the rabbit is mature enough, so its up to the vet. Yes id wait until the weather is warmer should be fine.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice