Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When should a kitten open their eyes?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by _soph_, Aug 19, 2009.

1. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

Well everything is going swimmingly in the home of "kittie heaven"!!

Syd is still doing exceptionally well and is looking after her babies beautifully. Although it totally freaks me out when she keeps moving them!

Today I was talking to a neighbour who apparently "if theres anything she doesn't know about cats isn't worth knowing" according to her...VERY IRRITATING!!! Anyway she commented on the fact that only the dark ginger one is the only kitten that has JUST (today) opened his eyes and said I needed to take them to the vets! They are 11 days today (Wednesday).

Then Ive just been looking around the forum and Cubas kittens have started to open their eyes already!...Then I start panicking!!

So... does this sound normal to you?

2. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Panic not... they can take their time! Anything up to 13 days is normal.

Some just take longer... others open their eyes very early, it's not uncommon for Siamese to open theirs as early as 3 days, and some have been known to have eyes open at birth. The "foreign" type breeds can also be a bit earlier than others, I would think that's why Cuba's have got on with it, she may be a mogg but seems to have quite a foreign type.

3. NicolaC

NicolaC PetForums Junior

Our last litter opened their eyes @4 days and 7 days, I did read somewhere that long haired cats tend to open their eyes a bit later.

4. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

has lily still not had hers? maybe her and amber will go together. they mustnt have got pregnant at same time then?

5. kelseye

kelseye Banned

between 7 -10 days :)

6. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

They must have done kitties!!! - The vet said that Lilly was 2 - 3 weeks approximate from appointment - 3 weeks would have been last Thursday!! I have been really bothered about it and thought about taking her to the vet again but she doesn't seem ill, shes eating and drinking and rather worryingly CLIMBING...Which Syd did not do and this is frightening to watch!!! I just wish that she'd hurry up and have them so I can relax a bit:D

7. Cat Lover Chris

Cat Lover Chris PetForums Member

My furry crew decided to have a peek at the world from day 5-8!
    Once they could see, there was no stopping them!!!

#7 Cat Lover Chris, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Sounds like she's ok... fit as a flea, and jumping like one too. That's how a very fit preggy girl should be, in my humble opinion. Common sense: if all her muscles are working well, then the strongest muscle she has (her uterus) will be in good shape too for the birth. Years ago all the cat books said: "Don't allow the pregnant queen to jump or climb..." Cuba never read those books, so I figure if she felt she could, she could, and she did... and she was carrying 6 :eek:

9. _soph_

_soph_ PetForums Junior

I know you are right merlins mum! I really TRY to be sensible about it all - especially after watching syd have her babies, I know that the "cat knows best". I just wish that i didn't feel so bloody neurotic all the time:D:D

But luckily Ive got you lot to sort me out when im feeling particularly nervous!!:D

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Awww thanks :) and you know the saying about 'watched pots' LOL... especially as when mine started to simmer, so to speak, she b*gg*r*d orf for a bit of privacy :lol:

11. NicolaC

NicolaC PetForums Junior

I agree, Fizz was a climber too, right up until an hour before first contraction!

12. sjreilly72

sjreilly72 PetForums Member

Our Kittens opened their eyes between 8-14 days. Don't let your neigbour panic you hun, it will happen when it happens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice