UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my God they can do a lot of damage! :eek:

Just been shown a pic of a guy who went to school with my son, now in his early thirties. He has a Staff and a pink nosed Pit which he's owned for around three years, takes him out only after dark but looks a gorgeous boy.

Two days ago the Pit attacked the Staff and in getting between them to stop the fight it redirected to the owner. Took a massive chunk out of his lower leg through his jeans. The pic is too graphic for here but it has gone through tendons, ligaments and you can see bone - with just one bite! Just tore the flesh and jeans completely off. It's not the first time this guy has been bitten, the time before the dog attacked the other on his bed while he was sleeping.

Why he ever bought this dog is beyond me, he's lived in fear if it being taken off him and now as all dog bites presented to A&E have to be reported to the police he'll likely be seized and PTS. Couldn't imagine the carnage the Pit would have caused to the dog it's lived with all it's life, serious aggression and glad it has never been out in public in the day if it can direct to a dog it knows this way.

While I don't agree with seizing 'type' dogs that have done no harm, I am not against certain foreign breeds being banned from the UK. Don't think there's room for them or the kind if people who want to own them.

The guy is still in hospital having surgery and skin grafts taken from other area's of his body. I don't know any more than that at the mo but I hope he gets a very stiff fine too. It's people like him buying these dogs that encourage their breeding and in the end it's the dog that suffers!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Having physically seen a wound from a highland terrier, that was down to the bone with blood seeping form the leg- i'm inclined to agree with Phoolf.

But then it's not quite so dramatic/ daily mail:thumbdown:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've heard many people say there is nothing wrong with the breed its the way they are raised..

I also heard that as a pit gets older and it's skull crowns it pushes down on its brain and this is the genetic cause for aggression and why they are a "banned breed" does anyone know if that's true?

Interesting to know the answer I have no real experience with this breed to judge on

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I am not sure what the intention of this thread is, but in lieu of recent threads on here about pretty much the same thing, I am now waiting for it all to kick off and the thread to be closed amongst much name-calling and the like. :(

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
I've heard many people say there is nothing wrong with the breed its the way they are raised..

I also heard that as a pit gets older and it's skull crowns it pushes down on its brain and this is the genetic cause for aggression and why they are a "banned breed" does anyone know if that's true?

Interesting to know the answer I have no real experience with this breed to judge on
Not correct. Or Cavs would be savaging everything in sight. :lol:

Here is an indepth study on canine aggression and the 'pitbull myth' http://www.pitbullproject.ca/placebo.pdf

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Having physically seen a wound from a highland terrier, that was down to the bone with blood seeping form the leg- i'm inclined to agree with Phoolf.

But then it's not quite so dramatic/ daily mail:thumbdown:
God forbid we have lots of dogo argentino's or bully kuttas in the country, pitbull hatred would be a thing of the past.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I am not sure what the intention of this thread is, but in lieu of recent threads on here about pretty much the same thing, I am now waiting for it all to kick off and the thread to be closed amongst much name-calling and the like. :(
Aye- i think i'll skip it from here and not 'take the bait' as it were. This thread maybe better on another forum entitled 'scared of dogs and probably everything community'

OP that was a joke.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

I also believe its how they are raised. Ive never heard of the skull thing, but the breed is bred for fighting, and fighting is illegal, which is why they are banned. People who fight dogs have now turned to staffies, which i believe may be the next breed to be banned, sadly :(

·
Registered
23,250 Posts
Wow, I cant imagine living with a dog that could do that sort of damage! Sounds like it should never have been in a multi dog household though.:(

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I also believe its how they are raised. Ive never heard of the skull thing, but the breed is bred for fighting, and fighting is illegal, which is why they are banned. People who fight dogs have now turned to staffies, which i believe may be the next breed to be banned, sadly :(
They're not banned because they're used for dog fighting. They were banned after a series of very highly publicised attacks on people and the Government wished to be seen to be doing something.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
my God they can do a lot of damage! :eek:

Just been shown a pic of a guy who went to school with my son, now in his early thirties. He has a Staff and a pink nosed Pit which he's owned for around three years, takes him out only after dark but looks a gorgeous boy.

Two days ago the Pit attacked the Staff and in getting between them to stop the fight it redirected to the owner. Took a massive chunk out of his lower leg through his jeans. The pic is too graphic for here but it has gone through tendons, ligaments and you can see bone - with just one bite! Just tore the flesh and jeans completely off. It's not the first time this guy has been bitten, the time before the dog attacked the other on his bed while he was sleeping.

Why he ever bought this dog is beyond me, he's lived in fear if it being taken off him and now as all dog bites presented to A&E have to be reported to the police he'll likely be seized and PTS. Couldn't imagine the carnage the Pit would have caused to the dog it's lived with all it's life, serious aggression and glad it has never been out in public in the day if it can direct to a dog it knows this way.

While I don't agree with seizing 'type' dogs that have done no harm, I am not against certain foreign breeds being banned from the UK. Don't think there's room for them or the kind if people who want to own them.

The guy is still in hospital having surgery and skin grafts taken from other area's of his body. I don't know any more than that at the mo but I hope he gets a very stiff fine too. It's people like him buying these dogs that encourage their breeding and in the end it's the dog that suffers!
Malamutes are a foreign breed and have been recorded biting on numerous occasions, what is the difference in not banning them but banning a dog argentino say?
Malamutes need ALOT more room and exercise than pitbulls also, so I dont get "the room" thing.

I would love to own aa dogo or Pitbull and think its disgusting the Nanny State can dictate I cannot, I consider myself a responsible dog owner?

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Im afraid I dont completely understand the point to this thread and think itl only go one way.

Any large muscular dog can cause immense damage - Malmutes- Ridgies - GSD- Rotties etc etc

All I do know is anyone who on purposely buys a Pitt - supporting c**p breeders - Advertises to friends they have one and spends their life hiding heir dog is a completely numpty. I dont understand why people have to try push they law. Its a rubbish law but the law none the less.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.