Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When or if to add to our little Family

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Butterfleye, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Butterfleye

Butterfleye PetForums Newbie

Hi, we have two cats Bramble (7years old, neutered male) and 3 months ago we got Morse (now 5 month old, not yet neutered male).
    Up until 3 months ago Bramble had been an only cat (we used to have dogs).
    Morse is your usual playful kitten, sometimes Bramble will play with him, which I just love to watch and sometimes he will meow and hiss at him.
    My dream is to have 4 cats and we had thought to wait until maybe next March and then get 2 kittens (both boys), that way Bramble will have a bit longer to may be get used to having another cat in the house and Morse will be just over 1 years old.
    The question is, does that sound like it's the best idea?, or
    - should we just stick with the 2 we've now got?,
    - should we consider getting the 2 kittens now so that they'd be able to play with Morse?
    - should we just get another 1 kitten?
    also is it best to get more boys?.

Thank you in advance for any help given.

Emma. x

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I love male cats but with two I wouldn't get more boys. One more boy may just be enough rock the boat. After all Morse is only 5 mths old so you don't yet know what his adult personality will be. I would get him neutered soon, to reduce the risk of unwanted territorial behaviours developing as he is living with a male.

If it were me I would probably wait until Morse is a bit older, say 18 mths and then get two female kittens. Female cats IMO tend to rule the roost and usually the boys are fairly happy to go along with that. :)

And spreading the ages out a bit is always a good idea, thinking in terms of when they get older.

EDIT: But if you think Morse needs a companion of his own age now then I'd get a kitten of similar age to him, a female (after you've had Morse neutered). There will be some 4 mth old kittens in Rescues.

#2 chillminx, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Butterfleye likes this.
  3. Butterfleye

Thanks for you reply chillminx. I thought that boys were supposed to get on better so thanks for the info on getting girls and I feel a bit better about waiting now like we'd originally thought.
    Morse will be neutered with in the next month, last time we were at the vets for worm and flea stuff the Nurse said his equipment wasn't big enough yet!.

Emma. x

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I have found multi cat households work best if there is a fairly equal mix of both sexes. :)

Butterfleye likes this.
  5. sidevalve

sidevalve Banned

At one time we had six cats [three of each] and it was ok but TBH we felt we didn't really have enough time for them individually. I must admit I would be a tiny bit wary of having even four again [we only have one now]. Think carefully do you have time to be 'mum' to each one equally ? I would second the idea of getting the youngest [and indeed ALL cats not for breeding] spayed and neutered ASAP - the amount of problems it can save are almost unbelievable.

Butterfleye likes this.
  6. Butterfleye

Thanks sidevalve for your reply. I have a disability so don't get out the house much, I live at home with my Mum and don't have any children so my cats are my babies . I'm thinking that it might be best to leave it for a while which will give Morse a chance to grow more and become his own little person so that will also give us time to make absolutely sure we can have 4 cats in our lives.

Emma. x

chillminx likes this.
  7. Franlow

Franlow Guest

I have always had 2 female cats & the rest male until very recently. We now have 4 girls & I have to say Lith is not overly happy with the other three. She & Poppy agree to ignore each other unless Pops gets too close, then there is much swearing. Sodium & Helium get on with everyone except Lith whom they are liable to stalk if I don't keep an eye out. If they get too bad, I put them next door - My son lives next door to me & I cat sit when he is doing 12 hour shifts. They do not stay in here if I am going out. They are just too big for Lith to take on in a swearing fight!. The 2 boys do exactly as they are told by Lith.
    I have always had one dominant female. My last girl was 27 when she died & never meowed, she just stared at the others & they backed off. My vet said she was like someone driving straight at another car at 70 playing chicken, who just rips off the steering wheel & hangs it out the window :) She was the sweetest natured animal, never fought, or growled, but, ruled with a rod of iron. I could put 4 bowls of food down, she would eat out of all of them & the others just sat & waited until she walked away

crystalwitch and Butterfleye like this.
  8. Butterfleye

Thanks for your reply Franlow. Wow 27, I hope my babies have such a long life, sounds like she was quite a character.
    I guess all cats have their own personalities so it could be a good idea to let Morse grow in to his first before getting another two editions and then having those two be girls sounds like the way to go.

Emma. x

9. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Kittens can be safely neutered from 1kg in weight (from 8 weeks old), testicles are there from birth and don't need to be a certain size

Butterfleye likes this.
  10. Butterfleye

Thanks spotty cats for your reply, we have an appointment on Tuesday to have Morse weighed and checked over to get more worm and flea stuff so I'll have a word with the nurse then.

Emma. x

11. Citruspips

Citruspips PetForums VIP

Trouble is everyone knows Morse is nothing without a Lewis so that would mean a boy :D

crystalwitch and Butterfleye like this.
  12. Butterfleye

Hee hee, now that's an idea Citruspips .

Emma. x

Citruspips likes this.
  13. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I have previously had a house full of boys and have ever only had problems recently with girls. My three boys are best friends, and they get on reasonably well with one of the girls. The other girl doesn't get on with anyone! It's very much down to the personality of the cats, and not their gender in my experience.

Personally I feel that them being young together is better as they have play companions, and it's easier to introduce younger cats to kittens as they are less set in their ways. On the flip side, I see the sense in waiting until Morse is 18 months to allow his personality to come through a bit more before you decide.

Sorry, that's probably not helpful at all!

Butterfleye likes this.
  14. Butterfleye

Thanks for your reply Rufus15. I guess some personalities are going to get on better than others.
    Are the girls that you have litter mates?, if not are they the same age?.

Emma. x

15. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Nope, different ages and breeds! Zelda is a nearly 3 year old moggy, and Annabelle is an 18 month old Maine Coon.

Zelda dislikes everyone and we're seeing more spats between her and my Maine Coon boy. Well I say spats, there's a lot of paws of death but she usually shoots off after a couple of failed swipe attempts. She dislikes him getting too close.

Annabelle loves the boys, especially her big half brother, and she's very affectionate but doesn't like my children so stays out of the way until the coast is clear.

My boys roll themselves around everywhere, follow my children around our home, their very tolerant of slightly rough hands, and love to get up close and personal.

Butterfleye likes this.
  16. Butterfleye

Both are boys are moggies and and new editions we get would be moggies too.
    Do you think then by having 2 girls of the same age, from the same litter should mean they would get along better?.
    We've never had two cats of the same sex from the same litter before, we have had a boy and girl of the same age from the same litter previously and a Mother and 1 of her Sons years and years ago.

Emma. x

17. Kitkatslave

Kitkatslave PetForums Member

Why isn't there a head bowed, worshipping emoji? I need it for your dear departed 27 year old cat @Franlow! For living so long and for commanding that much respect, what a legend!

Sorry @Butterfleye not to offer any advice, I've never been in your position but sounds like you are being very sensible thinking about the welfare of current and prospective kitties.

Butterfleye likes this.
  18. Butterfleye

Thanks kitkatslave. I know it's amazing isn't it, 27 years old, let's hope all our beloved babies get to live such long and happy lives.

Emma. x

19. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Again, it depends on the kittens. You would need to be guided by the rescue in that instance, and home the kittens they feel will be best suited together.

Two of my moggies are litter mates and they get on very well but are also independent. They like their spaces but they love cuddling up together too. They were the same as kittens, and were the only two in their litter so they were stuck with each other whether they liked it or not :D

Butterfleye likes this.
  20. Kitkatslave

Kitkatslave PetForums Member

Sorry edited as I posted to the wrong thread!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice