Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

when is best?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by considerthis, Oct 2, 2013.

1. considerthis

considerthis PetForums Member

ok so we have our 5 months appointment on Wednesday. my vets are trying to persuade me to have bramble done at 6 months, I have done a lot of reading and asked other dog owners we walk with and have got a very wide range of opinions. what do y'all think? I have no issue waiting till he's older but when I called earlier this week they said something about a retained testicle or something, the last time they saw him was over a month ago, would they really be able to see that at 4 months old?

2. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

Hmm tbh I'm leaving it at least a few months over six to let his bones grow and settle correctly.

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I wouldn't do it at all personally unless a specific need arose - out of curiousity, why do you want to have him neutered?

4. considerthis

uhm... well personally I wasn't considering it at all but vets kept saying the word cancer and I got freaked out so agreed to come back for a health check and a talk about it. he is well behaved and trained already so I told them I wasn't interested for that reason, he is a gorgeous wee man I doubt i'd ever stud him, my worry is he'll get some bitch pregnant and i'll have some irate owner shouting at me or a box of puppies dumped on me. don't know if we'd have to pay puppy support or anything like that? :blush:

5. mollypip

mollypip PetForums Senior

But he wont be able to mate unless you allow him to roam unsupervised which I presume you dont so that shouldnt even come into it.

I got my now 11 year old dog neutered at 6 months but I knew no better back then and thought I was doing the best thing. Vets kept pushing the cancer thing too. Now theres no way I would get a male dog neutered unless there was a behavioural issue that neutering may help. Much healthier for the dog to remain intact.

6. considerthis

Yeah is never unsupervised when we're out, he will try to hump sometimes but he is probably playing at this age plus if the other dog doesn't tell him off I will. Also if you tell him not to go to other dogs in the first place he won't. The only other thing is vet said when he is old enough if he smells a dog in heat he may just go wild and run and I wouldn't get him back in time. I honestly don't want to get him done. When our oldest was spayed it was awful for her, she still cries no matter which Vets we go to. Do not want to go thru that again.

7. evuze

evuze PetForums Junior

Why is it much healthier for then to remain intact molly? I only ask because it's getting close to that time for us and I've been doing some reading myself.

As far as I can see there's really no negatives unless you want to breed or the op goes wrong? They have a better chance against cancers and disease, they become more settled, lose the aggresion that comes from testosterone and they no longer get those urges. The most compelling, other than the health benefits, is that it's very unfair for a dog who naturally wants to mate, his body is telling him to, yet owners don't let them. It's like forced celibacy.

I'm no expert by any means, I'm interested in what others think though.

I've also read conflicting advice as to when to do it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice