UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly one of my Doberman was diagnosed with liver disease a few moths ago. This was picked up completely by chance as she has absolutely no obvious symptoms apart from slight weight loss.
Anyway I've just looked at some new tablets she had been given and it says to give them 'on an empty tummy' but ok to give with treats.
I feed my dogs twice a day at approx 7am and again at 4.30 pm. When would you give her her tabs. Maybe 1pm ?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Whenever you're likely to remember is a good time. When you first get up or when you eat, as long as it's at least an hour before the dog's meal I would have thought.

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
I would give first thing in the morning - an hour or two before the morning meal. Might be easier to make breakfast a little later though, or you'll be up at the crack of dawn!

If your dogs are exercised before they eat then that would be good - up, tablet, out for walk, back and rest, then breakfast.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Sadly one of my Doberman was diagnosed with liver disease a few moths ago. This was picked up completely by chance as she has absolutely no obvious symptoms apart from slight weight loss.
Anyway I've just looked at some new tablets she had been given and it says to give them 'on an empty tummy' but ok to give with treats.
I feed my dogs twice a day at approx 7am and again at 4.30 pm. When would you give her her tabs. Maybe 1pm ?
I would give them about an hour before her evening meal. Dont know if this will be any help aswell just in case its a liver cleansing diet. Its from an epilepsy website as epilepsy meds especially long term can cause problems and damage to liver function.
Ill link you just in case its any help

Liver Cleansing Diet and Milk Thistle

MILK THISTLE

Supplements for Home Cooked Diets - Canine Epilepsy Guardian Angels

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would give them about an hour before her evening meal. Dont know if this will be any help aswell just in case its a liver cleansing diet. Its from an epilepsy website as epilepsy meds especially long term can cause problems and damage to liver function.

Thank-you thats very kind of you I will be interested to have a look at these. She's on the Royal Canin hepatic diet, vitamin B as well a suppliment which contains milk thristle. I also took her to a homeopathic vet last week who gave me another suppliment for her to try. I can't get my head around how the homeopathy stuff works but am willing to give it a go.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts

Thank-you thats very kind of you I will be interested to have a look at these. She's on the Royal Canin hepatic diet, vitamin B as well a suppliment which contains milk thristle. I also took her to a homeopathic vet last week who gave me another suppliment for her to try. I can't get my head around how the homeopathy stuff works but am willing to give it a go.
Milkthistle is actually a herb, and has had good results in a lot of dogs.

Richard allport whos both a conventional vet but now practices in natural medicine and runs the Natural medicines centre, also has these on the list for liver problems depending on how you get on with what you have these might be worth discussing as well.

liver problems

Animal Magic B-Complex & Royal Jelly: a supplement to improve organ function, act as a general tonic, and to maintain stable liver function.

Milk Thistle: a herbal liver support remedy that is proven to protect against drug toxicity and promote healthy liver function.
Conval S: a useful amino acid supplement that aids recovery during or after liver damage.
Hepatosyl: a natural supplement to help stimulate normal liver function.

http://www.naturalmedicinecentre.co.uk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.