Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

When is a kitten.........

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Marg., Feb 16, 2019.

1. Marg.

Marg. PetForums Member

When is a kitten an adult cat...….I was away last week & Lola was in the cattery, Estelle the owner, told me Lola was getting fat, I told her I was feeding her 4 sachets of food each being 100gr, now I am sure I have read on here that you shouldn't restrict food from a kitten, Lola was eating all of the 400gr, but what I don't know is when she will be an adult cat, she is 10 months old now. Last time she was at the vets, when she was poorly, she was 4.1kg, vet said she was fine but because of her being ill, she lost some weight, she has put some back on but I don't think she has put it all back on.

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Depends on the breed. Moggies reach adulthood roughly around 18 months

3. Marg.

Marg. PetForums Member

I forgot to say she is a moggie, thanks for the info.
    When we got her at 9 weeks old she weighed 1.3kg, quite skinny though, I thought that was quite heavy for a small kitty.

#3 Marg., Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  4. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Member

My kitten is nine months old as weighs 3kg. She is given two 85g trays a day - but she rarely finished them. Then she will have hungry days when she could eat three toys no problem. Always finishes her treats though, which we are trying to restrict.

She has a small amount of dry food available at night which she nibbles on - but probably only eats about ten of the tiny buiscuits.

5. Marg.

Marg. PetForums Member

The only time she gets dry food is when she is in the cattery, I don't give her many treats either, maybe 5 or 6 a week.

6. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Marg. - when my two (non-pedigree) girls were 10 months old I was feeding them about 350 gram to 400 grams a day of wet food (no dry). Their weight was fine. I reduced how much food I fed them in increments, as they got older.

By the time they were aged about 2 they were fed the same amount of food they now eat (at 5 yrs old). They continued to grow until they were about 2.5 yrs old.

8. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Agreed.

With moggies that weigh over 5kg and Coonies that weigh in over 6kg, they would all be considered overweight compared to the norm, but their body score is perfect :)

9. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Scouttie and lymorelynn like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice