Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

when i tell my dog off

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by doggie82, May 26, 2010.

1. doggie82

doggie82 PetForums Member

when i tell my dog off she stares at me and starts barking at me she has only just started doing this. does anyone know why this could be??

I thought maybe she is telling me off for telling her off

2. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

It depends...if you are raising your voice at her she may be retalliating xx

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

my dog does this. I hardly tell him off anymore as it just causes him to bark and makes the situation worse. I distract him rather than tell him off. Doesn't cause a reaction.

4. the melster

the melster PetForums Senior

Same thing and I distract as well. If I point my finger at Bo she goes nuts :scared:

5. davehyde

davehyde Banned

how do you tell him off and why???

there are ways of letting our likkle dawgies know we aint happy.

never shout, never point and get their attention etc.

if they aint caught in the act ignore it.

6. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

LOL - i bet he is telling you back off, and to shut up, little tinker.:lol:

7. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

lol mine just stands there tail wagging nodding her head as if to say 'yeah yeah whatever' haha

8. GillyR

GillyR PetForums VIP

lol lol lol... :lol:

9. leashedForLife

hey, 82! :--)
    how old is the dog? :huh: when + how do U *tell her off*?
    how good is the management - not training, but PREVENTION of unwanted behavior?

if U keep setting the dog up to fail, then IMO, U are at fault, not the dog.

IOW, if U leave edibles on the table, counter, in yer bag, groceries on the floor...
    remote on the low coffee-table, shoes kicked-off in the living-rm, dirty clothes tossed on the floor...

*instead* put the remote in a drawer or magazine-rack, put dirty laundry in a hamper, shoes in the closet,
    CLOSE the bedroom door; unpack groceries from the countertop or table, not from the floor; put food in the microwave
    or oven if U must leave the room quickly... etc.
    management comes first - we must set the dog up to succeed, then train -
    training IMO + IME is for when we are PRESENT; Mgmt is lifelong, and always for those times we are not there.

no matter how well-trained the dog, i would never rely entirely on training - management is safer,
    more reliable, and shares the responsibility for the dogs behavior - as we should.
    it is never ALL the dogs fault, or JUST the dog to blame; we need to manage for safety + desired outcome. ;)

so how old is the dog? :p
    --- terry

10. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Your dog doesn't understand the words, just your mood/intent, so it depends entirely on the situation. I can point a finger at one of my bitches, and it will wind her up into play, and she will bark, because of the tone of my voice and my intent, not because she understands the words.

The ONLY time I ever tell my girls off is a grumbly Oi!!! And in the instant they are doing something wrong, not ten, twenty, thirty seconds later, or worse, several minutes or even hours later. An example would be if Tau is showing signs she's about to roll in something stinky, I'll give an Oi and stop her from doing it. If I give a command that they don't respond to straight away, they would also get an Oi, and I'd get on to them (march towards them with *intent*) - but, then I would give them an opportunity to get it right straight away so they could get the positive reinforcement.

11. doggie82

12. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Absolutely!

Totally!

Exactly!

doggie82, all she is doing is barking back at you! ;) Stop shouting at her and telling her off and work on prevention and management as outlined by previous posters. :)

13. leashedForLife

ah, good to know, hun! :--)
    if it rarely happens, is it always the same issue? or different things?

how long have U had her? the honeymoon period typically lasts the first 2 to 3-mos with dogs who have no issues,
    or few issues; if she is revealing new + less-than-wonderful facets of her behavior, U might ask for some B-Mod help.
    Dogs Trust is generally very good about supporting adopters thru the first 6-mos.

try to find ways of goof-proofing the environs, and teach her a solid Dog-ZEN *aka* Leave it, to get her to avoid
    forbidden objects - KIKOPUP has a terrific video-channel on UTube, i know she has one on Leave-It.

14. doggie82

we have had her 6 weeks now. the poor girl has got loads of issues which we are working on with her

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice