Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When does a puppy get it's adult coat?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lucyandsandy, Apr 27, 2011.

1. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

As in the title and how do get a nice glossy healthy coat? My Cav is only 4 months her fur is a bit dry and so her skin, what can I do to improve this? She eats wainwrights puppy food and eukanuba kibble. I also groom her everyday, is there anymore I can be doing?

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

It depends very much on the breed as to when their adult coat comes in, some breeds take upto 5 years or more to mature coatwise. I don't have any experience with Cavailers but I'd take a guess theirs would be coming in around 6 months old and be fairly full at 1 or 2 years.

You could try adding some salmon oil to her food to help her skin dryness, and ditching the Eukanuba, it's not a particually good brand and contains lots of cereals which will dry the skin.

#2 SixStar, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  3. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

Ok thank you, she only has the eukanuba as a mixer but I will change if it's not very good. I will try the salmon oil thank you!

4. hairydog

hairydog PetForums Member

Add some veg too, mine have -carrots, broccolli & peas, and any other veg goung spare, and he likes fruit to, and has a super glossy coat!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice