Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When do you take your dog/puppy out for walks?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sorrels Mum, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Sorrels Mum

Sorrels Mum PetForums Junior

Sorrel is just 17 weeks now and loves her walks.

I normally take her out in the morning then she has a snoozy afternoon. OH has been taking her out around 4:00pm before her evening meal. However she is very excitable in the evenings, running round the garden like mad and we cannot get her to focus when she is like that.

I wondered if she needs her walk a little later, after her meal - we feed her around 6:00 - any thoughts?

Was thrilled when we went out this morning as I let her off the lead for the first time and her recall was spot on - mind you it was in the middle of a field with no people, dogs or other other distractions and I did have a pocketful of chicken :) but its a very positive step

2. shells

shells PetForums VIP

glad ur enjoying your walk time:D i always take buster about half hour after he has eaten for us this works really well and if its a nice day we spend all afternoon in the park with the kids :D

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

IMO that's far too soon, especially in a bloat prone breed.

In answer to the OP, I take mine out at about 7am for an hour, for another hour in the evening and then a quick twenty minute brisk wall before bed for a wee and last run around. Most of mine are adults, the pup who is ten mths gets about 45 mins exercise per day, and then loads of training and plenty of playtime with the other dogs.

I never feed 2 hours before or after exercise.

If your girl is having trouble settling in the evenings I'd say moving her evening walk to 7.30/8 would be a good idea, or even splitting it, so she gets half at her current time and the other half later.

#3 SixStar, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  4. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

Our usual routine is an hour in the morning, a couple of short walks in the afternoon (15-30mins) or an outing and then another hour around sometime between eleven and midnight.

I didn't know about not feeding after a walk, but it's funny because Biscuit almost never eats after one. Always thought it was because she gets a bunch of treats on a walk.

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I never feed 2 hours before or after exercise.

Neither do I.

6. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Holly gets her main walk in the middle of the day, and she's normally walked around the block about an hour after her food.

As for the off lead, well done to both of you... I believe that the sooner you let them off and their recall starts good, it will help to build that bond :)

7. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Tummels routine is

Morning - 30 min walk, then he's given his food(he won't eat until he's emptied himself which he won't do in the garden)

Evening - another 30 min walk, his daily amount of food is given in the morning as he self regulates...he usually eats a few mouthfuls in the morning and then eats the rest after his evening walk.

He usually gets another 30 min walk in the middle of the day if he seems energetic...if not we just play in the garden for a while but i never take him out until he's gone 1.5hrs without food as i don't want him to get bloat!

We also go for a good 1-2 hour walk along the coastal path when we visit my parents on Sundays, if i'm down there any time during the week he gets another 1-2hr walk as he loves the beach :D

8. Sorrels Mum

Sorrels Mum PetForums Junior

Thanks, will try walking her later in the evening.

She went off lead again this morning, same field but DH was with me so both of us were doing recall, one to the other. Sorrel enjoyed this game, didn't even wait for the chicken before setting off to DH.

We also had a couple of 'sit, watch me' successes when people walked/cycled past on the path which is a bit of a breakthrough as she is an excitable little thing and wants to say hello to everyone, so two steps forward. Will have to wait and see what the 'one step back' is as there is sure to be one soon. ;)

9. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I walk them both for an hour in the morning at 6am.

Then my OH return from work and feeds them at 9amish.

He often takes one or both around the block for 20 mins during the day.

We both walk them for an hour at 5pm.

Then they eat around 7pm.

We then go for a pavement walk at 9 or 10pm.

Our two sleep well hehe

We are very careful with Makita not to feed him just before or after walks. I never used to walk Millie in the late evening but it really helps Makita to settle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice