When do you plant your bedding plants?

Discussion in 'Gardening Advice' started by rottiepointerhouse, Apr 20, 2017.

?

When do you plant your bedding plants?

1. April (early or end)

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. May (early or end)

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Not until June when safe from frost

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. No set time, depends on how the long range weather is looking.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Other. Please specify

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

My late MIL who taught me a lot about gardening always said never plant them out until the beginning of June when its pretty certain there will be no more frosts. However my Mum usually puts hers out end of April beginning of May and risks the frosts/covers them over if we get any. We are all on the south coast. I've tended to leave mine until end of May but often find the garden centres have sold all the best stuff by then. I don't have a greenhouse or frame.

Do you have a hard and fast rule or play it by ear/long range weather forecast?

2. Siskin

Siskin Home redistribution system

I would have thought you could put your plants out earlier then June given where you live.

Here we often get cold nights, but usually put bedding out round about early to mid May depending what plants I've got, some plants are more hardy then others. Things like busy lizzies are very tender and I would be careful with those.

3. Siskin

Forgot to say I often buy bedding plants about now and keep them somewhere sheltered for a while before planting out later on. If it looks like there is going to be a really cold night then you could always bring them indoors, but more often or not a sheltered spot by the house is good enough especially by a wall that gets sunshine during the day and releases the heat through the night. Also nights are getting shorter so less likely to become frosty, make sure that cold plants don't get the early morning sun. If they have got a bit frosted having warm sunshine on them will make it worse, better to thaw out slowly.

4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell PetForums VIP

I've started putting my bedding out now but only the things that are likely to be hardy or eaten by slugs fairly quickly. My garden is sheltered and warm so most stuff does survive. I have had impatiens seedlings growing since early March but they spent their first month inside to grow big and strong and have only been outside the last 2 weeks. I won't be planting them out for another 3 weeks at least when all chance of frost has gone.

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  5. DT

DT PetForums VIP

The old saying goes something like dont cast a clout until may is out, my dad swore by it, but i,m inpatient , if weather seems settled mid may ish.

6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

7. Mirandashell

It's not May the month. It's may the hawthorn flower. And that comes out in March......

8. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

9. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Must admit I'm itching to buy now but I make myself wait until May. Haven't got a greenhouse or anywhere sheltered to put them meantime.

10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I usually wait until May and judge the weather and chance of frost, offering protection if necessary/possible.

I grow a fair number from seed (mostly hardy annuals) and frankly get sick of them in the conservatory by then and want them outside asap! ;)

If they go out too early though, even if no frost, just being cold can give them a "check" so it's worth holding off until the temperature is a bit higher and stable especially at night.

Most garden centres have the bedding still under some protection, even though outside, so I tend to tuck them into a sunny, but sheltered spot on the terrace for a couple of days before giving them a good soak and then planting out.

11. Lily Joe

Lily Joe PetForums Newbie

Summer bedding plants such as petunias, fuchsias and begonias will need potting up and growing up in frost-free conditions before planting out in late May or early June after all risk of frost has passed.

12. Siskin

Where on earth do you live? Rarely see May out until May.

13. Mirandashell

We do see it in sheltered areas at the end of March by me. I guess it's just early.

14. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I usually plant them on the late may bank holiday weekend unless a frost has been forecasted, don`t think I have ever planted any earlier than that.

15. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Towards the end of May, hopefully the frosts have gone by then.

16. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Not round here it doesn't. Blackthorn can be out, but Hawthorn (May) isn't out until May.

rottiepointerhouse and Siskin like this.
  17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

In one of the gardens I work in, sweet williams were planted out in 2015. They've survived 2 winters and are still looking good. A couple of the lobelias planted out at the same time have survived too. That's in Lancashire.

18. Siskin

Most of this week the nights are going to be very cold, so anyone who has bedding plants out may want to consider covering them. Horticultural fleece would be good

19. Mirandashell

I've brought all my seedlings in due to the cold nights. I'm hoping to have them all in the garden in a couple of weeks cos it's a PITA watering them all! LOL!

20. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

May. Mine are out now. I'd recommend band q for summer bedding. Really reasonable 4x9plants for £10.