Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When do you breed?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by kayz, Jul 26, 2009.

1. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Do you wait until you have a waiting list as big as/bigger than the average litter size?

Or do you breed when you want to and hope that there are people wanting your pups?

Not sure why I am asking but just wondering.:)

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I don't breed but if I did I'd wait until I have a large waiting list :)

3. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

my dogs have small litters iv got a 2 year waiting list

4. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

I only ever bred when I needed another dog to show, and made sure there were owners waiting, saying that tho Ive only bred 4 litters in 27 yrs.

5. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I would wait until I wanted a puppy to show and had found the right stud dog that I thought was going to give me that and I had a waiting list about the average litter size.

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

From some threads I've read on here recently most breeders don't have waiting lists! This seems very irresponsible to me :confused:

7. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I see what you mean. I have been researching Border Collies today and a lot of the websites say that they have long waiting lists. I suppose the problem if you don't have a list then you could potentially be left with 8 puppies.

8. basi

basi PetForums Senior

I have a waiting list for my next litter which will not be until next year. Many of the people have been on my list for the past 2 years but are prepared to wait thankfully as I don't want another for the showring until then.

9. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

I don't breed, but if i did it would be if i had a waiting list or to keep one for myself for the ring.

I personally think it's crazy to keep breeding pups at the moment if potential homes aren't lined up.

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Agreed. Makes me wonder what's going on when people don't have homes lined up, especially in this economic climate :nonod:

11. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

I would not breed if i did not have a long waiting list

12. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I bet you have a stupidly long waiting list!! I'd love one but they are quite expensive(come on lotto numbers)

13. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

Our old girl is 8 and slowing down alot.......for her breed its quite old. We have mated her daughter to keep a pup as we have always had 2 dogs. We did put feelers out before mateing and have a list for 4 pups (5 with our pick) These are people we know and have been getting them "trained" ready for a pup and im confident that the pups will go to good homes

I do know of someone who breeds for all the wong reasons and i have reported them...............unfortunately the response i got wasnt good and was told theres nothing that can be done!!!:eek::cursing:

14. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

I think you have to weigh up whether your dog(s) have anything to offer the breed. The waiting list is immaterial really.

I see no point in breeding "poor" dogs both cosmetically and health wise, just because the breeder has the marketing ability to persuade some poor suckers to join a waiting list and has therefore to keep breeding those dogs to fulfil it.

I also think that "homes" can disappear, so breeding just because you have a waiting list can be irresponsible too.

15. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

Good point :)

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

That is a good point :yesnod:

17. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Yeah I do agree too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice