UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find an exact description of what counts as an animal boarding establishment. Obviously I'm aware of the Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963, but am not sure if it applies to me or not.

Are there conditions on the frequency or number of dogs you've kept in a year before you become a boarding establishment. Or is it from the moment you have someone else's dog come to stay and you take some money for it?

I run a dog walking business - so the main service I offer is dog walking, with the occasional overnight stay in a clients house and cat-sitting visits.

But twice in the last year the situation has arose where I've ended up having clients dogs at my house - the first one I didn't think anything of as the client was also a friend, but this week I've got one of my regular dog walking clients staying as her owner had to visit a sick relative at short notice.

I don't advertise home boarding as one of my services and I don't consider myself a home boarder. But does the law consider me one?

The leglislation says
(a)a person shall not be deemed to keep a boarding establishment for animals by reason only of his providing accommodation for other people’s animals in connection with a business of which the provision of such accommodation is not the main activity

But I'm not sure what this means. I don't plan to move into home boarding, but if I do occasionally end up with clients (say a few times a year) at mine do I need to get a license?

Has anyone recieved any guidance from their local authority on this? Or have any experience of something similar?

Beans

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
It really is down to the local council, but if you aren't charging for the extra time they are at your home then you don't need a licence. As a dog walker and home boarder often go hand in hand, if you're charging your council probably will say you need a licence, regardless of how infrequently you do it.

·
Still missing my boys
42,307 Posts
I recently contacted my local council about just this and they said I didn't, but every council is different and some charge quite a lot for a license

·
Still missing my boys
42,307 Posts
This has always baffled me. The animal boarding establishment act is a national law so why it is only applies in certain areas is beyond me.
This is part of the act :)

(a)a person shall not be deemed to keep a boarding establishment for animals by reason only of his providing accommodation for other people's animals in connection with a business of which the provision of such accommodation is not the main activity;

Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
That's really for vets, residential training etc, although I do know of people who've home boarded but got away without a licence because the council can't prove they charged for the time the dog was in the house. One person had his licence taken away for cruelty but still took dogs home. Because he only charged for the walks, the council couldn't take any further action.

·
Still missing my boys
42,307 Posts
That's really for vets, residential training etc, although I do know of people who've home boarded but got away without a licence because the council can't prove they charged for the time the dog was in the house. One person had his licence taken away for cruelty but still took dogs home. Because he only charged for the walks, the council couldn't take any further action.
Doesn't state that. The councils obviously interpret it in different way too :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is part of the act :)

(a)a person shall not be deemed to keep a boarding establishment for animals by reason only of his providing accommodation for other people’s animals in connection with a business of which the provision of such accommodation is not the main activity;

Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
The thing that baffles me is not the act but why some councils enforce it and others don't. Surely if you are a boarding establishment you are bound by the act regardless of which town you live in :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.