Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When do they stop growing

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by cinnamontoast, Jan 12, 2011.

1. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

At what age do dogs generally attain their full height? The boys are 7 months and are now taller than the big dog! :eek:

2. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Depends on the breed. Newfies don't stop growing upwards until they are two, then they grow outwards! Don't reach their full weight and height till about two and quarter. And they don't mature until they are four!

Different breeds have different timelines.

3. demi

demi PetForums Member

yeah its the same for the st bernards. i think the bigger dogs usually take longer to mature than the smaller ones.
    but i would say dogs on advrage stop growing at around 1 1/2 - 2 years. but im guessing from what iv seen from my dogs. and after they stop growing up they continue filling outwords as well.

4. cinnamontoast

They're medium size, springers. They're still skinny!

5. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

kody reached his adult height at 6 months, as did bailey. they are beagles. kody has also been the same weight since about 9months. he is just coming up a year.

skye was her adult height at about 9months, and her weight has been the same since around a year. shes quite small for her breed though, a flat coated retriever.

i would expect a springer would be at adult height between 9-10months but will continue filling out anywhere up to around 18months.

6. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

my boys stopped around 13-14months :)

7. cinnamontoast

8. bewildered from west mids

bewildered from west mids PetForums Junior

I'm relieved to hear beagles stop growing at 6 months.

Pickle is 5 months old & I can still just about grab him & haul him where I need him to be when he won't cooperate -which is most of the time....

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Whoah there re beagles, is that confirmed?

My Labs both differed, Indie matured at 18 months of age, Tau wasn't really mature until she was three, both physically and mentally.

So I'd say it depends on the individual dog, as long as they mature at a natural rate, that's what's important.

10. bewildered from west mids

bewildered from west mids PetForums Junior

If Pickle's going to keep growing until he's three, I'd better start taking anabolic steroids now!

11. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Ummm, not really, they don't carry on growing at the same rate necessarily ;) Tau was a hugely gangley teenager at 18months, but by the time she hit three, she'd filled out and matured, finally! I can't post pics from this pc, but the difference is quite phenomenal.

12. When they grow into their feet:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

13. Seriously! I think MOST dogs (note I said MOST) have reached their height by between 9 and 12 months! (OK we may have a little movememnt still) but really any upward growth is negliable! but the do fill out and their muscles become more defined !

14. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Hehe, ya know I've got a girl here who disagrees with you? Tau was not at her mature height by 12 months, she was a slow maturer, by no means a bad thing. I think it's difficult to judge all dogs of a breed by the same 'rule', they're all individual.

15. There will always be one SL thats an exception to the rule!

16. cinnamontoast

I hope they stop going upwards soon: they look a bit big for their crate and I'm having serious issues lifting them-Bear's slightly taller than Zak and weighs 19kg. (Brig, the adult, is slightly shorter and a stocky fit 25kg) Having had to carry Bear in and out of the car to the vet last week for check ups on the laceration, I have grown serious muscles!

17. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

ive just read on a site that papillons stop growing at 2-3 and sometimes stop at 4 :eek:

18. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Ya know me DT, if it ain't me, it's my dogs ;)

19. cinnamontoast

Same as horses,then. My creature has finally stopped going upwards, I think and has filled out so he looks like a proper cob (cow, as the kids at school keep saying!) now as opposed to a skinny thing!

20. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

If I get chance tomorrow, I'll post some pics of my girl at 18 months, and now, the difference is quite astounding, she hasn't grown upwards any, but filled outwards a lot!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice