Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When do dogs actually stop growing?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sue&harvey, May 13, 2010.

1. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Harvey is nearly 8 months old now, and I was just wondering when on average do they stop growing. I don't think he has grown much at all in the last 2 months :confused: I thought he would fill out a bit more rather than get bigger in length and height. Any ideas?

2. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Depends what type of dog he is.. some grow up then fill out then up then out.. 2 years of age dogs tend to reach their full height and weight.. If Im wrong somebody shoot me..lol

3. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Thanks for you reply
    We don't really know what he is crossed with, we think Beagle x ?. I will try and upload a photo from a few months ago and now, later when i'm on my PC. He just goesn't seemed to have grown much, if at all.

4. leashedForLife

it depends - on how much growing the breed / mix has to do,
    what type of dog, etc.

a Giant breed with a large skull - like a St-bernard - will still have a head that is maturing at 2-YO, and may look
    a bit different at 3-YO, altho clearly recognizable as the same dog.

toys are full-grown at 12-MO - BUT that does not mean breeding is apropos on the 2nd-heat, or with a 12-MO male-dog,
    as there is another 12-mos to go before one can be reasonably certain that there are no surprises waiting -
    85% of all heritable problems that will be symptomatic in a dog are visible by 2-YO / 24-MO.
    waiting the extra-year is a no-cost * test * to see if anything is incubating... ;)

sighthounds do not have a lot of muscle to add - so a teenaged sighthound and an adult do not look very different.
    a teenaged GSD or pittie-type can look very different from the same dog at 2-YO.

medium to large-breeds (45 to 90#) do about 85% of their growing by age 9 to 10-Mos. they still have muscle to add,
    but the skeleton is well-developed and changes very little - except for finishing touches; skulls, etc.

cheers,
    --- terry

5. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Well Beagles aren't very tall dogs... A GSD we had at 11months was measured by the police force and they worked out he had another 2--3" to grow and he was mahoosive at 11months..

6. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Thanks to you both, mabey he is just going to be a lanky tyke :D Will put pics up later to see if anyone can see what I may have missed. Also is it a myth that dogs stop growing after being neutered??? I can't see how testosterone can control all growth. :eek:

7. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

We thought the boys had stopped growing (they are 18months i think lol) but they have gotten a little bit taller and have started to lean out now aswell but they are a mix of a medium breed and a large breed

8. leashedForLife

actually, thats the wrong-way around -
    in M-pups, the Pre-Pubertal flush of testosterone around 5-MO closes the epiphyses of the long-bones, in the legs -
    the epiphysis is a growth-plate between already-calcified bone + still-growing cartilage.
    so a M-puppy who is a juvenile neuter - defined as desex on a pup less than 12-WO - will grow slightly-taller
    than he would have, if he had stayed intact past 5-MO to 6-MO.
    the difference in height is not enormous, even in large (60 to 90#) dogs - an inch or so, at the shoulders and hips.

M-pups desexed at 6-MO or older, have no alteration whatever of their skeletal size; their leg-bones already ARE, what they will be.

since bitches have no pre-pubertal surge of testosterone, they do not have this growth-mechanism at all.
    cheers,
    --- terry

#8 leashedForLife, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  9. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Thanks Terry, Understand now, he was neutered at nearly 7 months. Here's 2 pics I dont know if they are much good. The reason I wondered if he would grow anymore or even fill out is his new harness is just a tad too big.

25012010361.jpg

13052010467.jpg

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I think my GSD stopped growing at about 12 months :confused1:

Candy I don't know as I wasn't with my OH when she was a pup :)

Luna is 9 months now and sprouting like a weed. She's got gangly legs still :eek:

11. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Bless her, did you ever think she had stopped growing before she started sprouting again?

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Yeah she did stop growing height wise because I noticed she put on weight before sprouting again. :thumbup:

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Kite seemed to stop growing in height at around 6 months, but in the last few weeks has definitely grown taller with another spurt (she's nearly 9 months).

14. leashedForLife

ah! i see, its a fitting-problem - is the harness nylon-straps?
    if so, making it smaller [or larger, for that matter] is a simple matter of adding holes - if the dog is too-big + harness too-small,
    U can run out of strap, :lol: and theres nowhere to put the new holes...

but as U are adding holes to make it smaller, thats E-Z! :thumbup:

mark the harness where U want the new-holes on both sides with a contrasting color - if the harness is black,
    a toothpick dipped in white-toothpaste + dabbed In The Center of the strap works fine - it only needs to last long-enuf
    to get the hole started.

straighten the tip of a metal clothes-hanger (the part that goes over the closet-rod) and HEAT it carefully -
    pull the bottom of the hanger, the straight-bar, from the center down, straight away from the neck above it,
    to make a long-diamond shape; now U can hold it in the center, using Ur hand to hold the 2 sides together,
    and have a nice long section of wire as a handle to prevent burning Ur hand.
    U can use a gas-stove or an electric-stoive burner to heat the hanger-tip -
    a LIGHTER should be used outside, in a wind-sheltered area: the lee of a wall, a building, etc.

if U use any sort of stove, TURN ** ON the overhead fan! to take any nasty-fumes out of the house,
    =before= U get that hanger near the flames. hangers can be painted or coated, and fumes may be TOXIC.
    i would NOT use a sealed-flame or flat-surface stove for this project -
    whatever goo is on the hanger, can discolor or adhere to the stoves glass / porcelain / steel surface,
    and STINK forever, or stick to pan-bottoms, etc.

melt a shallow-hole on one side, flip it over, melt that side directly opposite -
    let it cool, go back, melt it again + get deeper.
    flip it over, melt that side - by now U should be thru the strap; re-heat the hanger-tip, carefully run it straight thru
    and very-gently wiggle it to widen it JUST a bit.
    before it cools completely, flatten the standing rim of goo OUTWARD from the hole on all sides,
    with a flat handle of a stainless-steel spoon; mash it down *firmly* to force the goop into the woven-strap,
    not making a glob or lump on the surface, but making a reinforcing disk around the new-hole.
    each added-hole only takes a minute or 2 - very quick! :)

15. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Cheers terry...great safety advice too but it's a mekuti :eek::D

16. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

My boys stopped growing in height at around 13 months old, and filled out then.
    Libby my BC has stopped growing she is teeny weeny at 10 months old she is just shy of 16kg still, and has been this way for months bless her
    xx

17. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Blimey :eek6: she is tiny, even Harvey is 10kg!!! and I thought he was skinny, do you think she will get a sudden burst?

18. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

I doubt it Sue, she is my Collie in my pocket haha.
    Her legs are the same thickness know if that makes sense, they look fully grown at the wrist etc, she is 17" to the shoulder, she doesnt come up level with my knee by her shoulder.
    I guess she is just going to be small forever, she looks like a puppy still from a distance.
    And is also skinny, she never gains an ounce, she looks like i dont feed her lol
    xx

Attached Files:

19. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Forever pup :D She is beautiful.

20. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

Aw thank you hunny.
    But yeh depending on the breed depends on when they hit maturity on growth me thinks, unless your libby haha
    xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice