Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When did you first notice you dog had an allergy?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Amelia66, May 3, 2016.

1. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

Im just wondering how people first noticed the allergy and what they tried first?

I have always believed one of my dogs to be head shy, but never really had and answer for why it started believing she just didn't like it. However today i am noticing after trimming her ears the skin inside seems to be very red and dry looking. This made me take a bit of a closer look at her and I'm noticing the bottom of her feet seem to be a bit red and i know she chews on the regularly.

I know they haven't been flea treated in a long time so that will have to be my first step, but wondering what others did?

2. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Since Bigby started loosing hair around his chin. We treated as thinking it was demodex mange but he still has hair loss and also red dry patches in his ears. I am having an allergy test done this week by using some of his hair.

Amelia66 likes this.
  3. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Our vet warned us when Scrumpy Jack threw his first ear infection that this mean he's an allergic westie. When he was 4 he had his first skin reaction; what started off as a hot spot turned into a full on oozing, weeping infection around his boy bits and inner legs and tummy that was so sore he couldn't walk up the stairs or jump on the furniture. 2 years later, with yet another skin infection (and countless ear infections in between) we happened to visit a vet where we lived at the time, who had a doggy dermatologist on hand. He was allergy tested and was found to be allergic to:
    Dust mites
    Chicken
    Lamb
    Beef
    Duck
    He even reacted to the saline, that's how sensitive he is. He's now on a monthly allergy injection that has reduced his reactions right down. He still gets ear infections because his ear canals are teeny, but he hasn't had a nasty skin infection for many years (he's 11 now).

MiffyMoo and Amelia66 like this.
  4. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

Aww the poor thing thats sounds like it was awful!

Kimmikins likes this.
  5. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Sometimes I think he throws an ear infection because he hasn't seen his vet adorers recently :rolleyes:

They can be really nasty, but he's a such a resilient boy he takes it all in his stride. Still gives everyone westie kisses and cuddles.

Amelia66 likes this.
  6. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Harley started licking and biting at his feet the Ocober before last, so about 2 months after we got him. The vet gave us cortavance spray (steroid spray) and some wipes to clean his feet with, and it seemed to clear up after a few weeks.

Then just after Christmas that year I noticed a few little bumps on his neck. By New Year there were more of them so the vets clipped & cleaned the area and gave us some cream for it. Unfortunately it got loads worse and turned into an open, weeping sore :(

So next he had antibiotics for about 4-6 weeks and had to wear a buster collar as he was scratching at it. It got better and then worse again and spread to one of his feet, so we had to get him little socks to stop him licking the sore skin! At that point the vet suggested allergy testing, which we went for. He had steroids for about 2 weeks while we waited for the results, which when they arrived was just a massive list of things he is allergic to.

Tried immunotherapy but he is a bit of a wimp about having things done to him and he turned into a screaming, traumatised mess with the injections :( So now he has Atopica tablets, which are working well for him :)

Kimmikins and Amelia66 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice