Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When can I let them out??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by gemma1234, Feb 2, 2012.

1. gemma1234

gemma1234 PetForums Member

I just took in a mum & son from a rescue centre (8 and 18 months old). They are really sweet gentle cats but they have been strays all their lives and so are used to roaming free. The 8 month old managed to dart out this morning when I opened the door. Luckily he comes when called so I managed to get him back inside but since then he has spent his whole time at the window trying to get out.

How long should I keep them in for? I live in a house surrounded by fields & the nearest road is a 15 minutes walk away. I will definitely keep them in at night at 1st but when can I let them out in the day?

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

You say that they have always been strays and used to roaming,does this mean that the rescue centre has classed them as semi feral,they dont sound as though that is the case.How long have you had them.Are they both neutered.I have indoor cats,always have,but from the little I have picked up from the wise folks on the forum i would suggest that you let them get used to you,their home and to be fairly confident that they have some recall,before they venture outside.I assume they are no where near to where they lived before,if they are they could try to return to familiar territory.I would say keep them in for at least 4/6 weeks if possible and when you do let them out do it before you feed them so that they are hungry and more likely to come back for food.I would also be very wary of allowing them out at night,there are many more dangers than traffic .Good luck with them :D

3. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

Personally I would keep them in for at least a month so they realise and are happy in their new home. good luck with your new pets :D

4. gemma1234

gemma1234 PetForums Member

Thanks for the replies. The rescue centre only had them a week (and kept them in pens outside) and I've also only had them a week so they're really not used to being indoors. They are loving it though (sleeping on our bed every night!) but they definitely still want get outside.

They're both neutered. Will wait another few weeks to let them out then. At least I know they're safe while they're inside. I think I'll worry about them all day until they come home when I let them out.

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

You may be right but it is also just as likely that it is simple curiousity,cats just dont like closed doors they "need" to see whats behind them.

6. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

We kept ours in for 6 weeks, they are now loving the extra freedom :D

7. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Are you able to cat-proof your garden or build a run for them? This keeps everyone happy. You - because you know they are safe. The cats - because they still get the outdoors that they like.

I have a rescue girl who was found heavily pregnant in a shed when she was bout 8mths old. We've had her 6mths now and she has not set a paw outside in that time. OH is adamant that she stays in indoor cat until we get sort out our garden. She doesn't seem overly bothered about it and is just curious to know what is on the other side of the door. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice