Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When can a puppy be let outside into the big wide world after his last injection?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by hippo745, Mar 22, 2011.

1. hippo745

hippo745 PetForums Junior

I always thought it was a week after the second jab, but our vet told us two weeks after the second jab??? Is this correct? has anyone heard of this before? The injections were vanguard 7 if that helps. Many thanks:001_smile:

2. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Some vets say 7 days some say 14 days i think i split the difference and waited 11 days.

Until then i walked around the streets, up the school with the pup in my arms to get them use to all the sights, sounds and smells asap :D

3. Rocky_Mayhem's_Mom

Rocky_Mayhem's_Mom PetForums Junior

one of the first things i ever posted on here was about my pup and how worried i was to take him outside because of parvo scares. and especially because of how much poo is around out apartments due to them being a very pet friendly neighborhood. i thought my pup was gonna die for the first 3 weeks that i had him. after his second set of shots i wasnt worried too much anymore.

i knew i needed to start getting him to learn to go outside, and i saw his body getting stronger and growing up some. not such a infant anymore. he was now entering a toddler phase and i felt comfortable letting him out into the world. i cant give u the medical reasons but from my own experience he should be fine after the second one. u can see yourself how much your pup strengthens and grows just from 8 weeks to 3 to 4 months. its amazing the changes they go through.

4. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Our vet said 7 days after last injection. xx

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

7 days here too.

Me too :D

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

My vet doesnt say anything, seems to be ok more or less straight away. I should think it depends where you live and whether there is parvo or distemper in your area. Also might depend on the make of the vaccine, if it is given the other way round, ie first injection is the normal second one and second is the normal first one then it would be 2 weeks as that is how long it takes to build up the antibodies.

7. hippo745

hippo745 PetForums Junior

think will either stick to the two weeks and take him out in arms, or have him in for 11 days then take him only on streets till the two weeks are up. thanks guys :001_smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice