Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

When being gentle just doesn't cut it

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Nov 29, 2012.

1. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Had an incident today where I had to be fairly rough with Alfie this morning and wondered what circumstances some of you have had to be rough with your dogs.

My silly old fool went hunting bunny in a large bramble bush this morning, turned to get himself out and his tail hair wrapped around 3 separate bits of the bramble :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Now in his younger days this wouldn't have presented a problem, but his poor old legs haven't the strength to extricate himself :(
    By the time I reached him he'd obviously started to worry a little and was swinging around by his tail :eek:

Normally I could just tell him to stand still and untangle him but for some reason he wouldn't do this. I had to lift his back end off the ground, drag him a foot or so backward and wrap my legs around his his tummy to hold him still.

Luckily once the pressure was off, it untangled fairly quickly, but I've still got a few cuts for my trouble. Think he may have too :rolleyes:

So, when have you had to be rough with your dog?

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Never had to be rough with Kes yet, I have to tug her lead a bit on occasion to get her to stop fixating on another dog and carry on walking etc. I screamed at her last week, well not directly but she really hurt me. I was walking through a doorway and she went head on into the door, slamming my head between the doorframe and the door right on the edge of my ear which BLOODY hurt! I screamed really loud in pain and then went KESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS and was pretty angry. :eek: I shouted last night because she carried on trying to hump me and it's getting quite painful now, her dew claws caught on a mole I have on my back as she was jumping up and that bloody hurt too. Shouting is the most I do that I count as rough, although there would be circumstances where I think manhandling her might crop up.

3. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Tummel used to be a nightmare when needing a bath/shower, he would scream and freeze etc etc(will add i never gave him a bath without due cause...like covering himself in horse/cow poo) so i managed this by using a sliplead to manouvre him into the positions i needed...he's a big lump so it was difficult but we got there and now he's much more tolerable of being washed(last time i bathed him he jumped out but let me pick him up and put him back in).

Theres also been a few times he's gotten a thron in his paw...and run off whinging, he doesn't like his paws being played with so i usually have to clamp him between my legs and hold his head out of the way with my own(he'll lick and nibble my hand if i don't and i can't see).

4. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

I have pinned said dog between my knees in order to advocate/ clean ears/ check cuts etc

He will get my voice of doom/ removed from the room if doing something incredibly annoying/dangerous/ stoopid

5. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

There's been a few times i've had to drag Tammy away from the end of the garden when she's going completely bonkers at the neighbours dogs and nothing else i do will snap her out of it :mad: i really can't stand being ignored and won't let her get away with it so dragging out of the bush and and marching her back inside it is :nono:
    She hates her face being groomed too so that usually turns into a rather forceful chore if she starts being a pain :eek: has to be done as she gets so much eye gunk and mucky food round her mouth!

Charlie will get snatched up and swiftly put out the room if she kicks off at Tammy, poor ol' girl does nothing wrong :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice