Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

whelping

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by cardave, Jun 3, 2010.

1. cardave

cardave PetForums Newbie

ive just found out my cocker spaniel is pregnant and will be due in 2 weeks and i really need some good advice . Im really worried about what to expect and dont know what things i need to buy to be ready . What should i use for a whelping box ? do i buy one or can she use her dog bed :confused:

2. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Firstly dont panic you have came to the right place for help and advice. You can buy whelping boxes online i wouldn't recommend you let her have them in her bed as it will get a tight squeeze probably. I know a member on here Spaniel mad has bred them before I am sure they will be along to help.

3. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

don't panic. Pm me your email address and I'll send you a list. Then PM your number and I will ring you shortly.

Go on amazon and buy Book of the Bitch, its a cream book with a yellow lab on it with about 5 puppies. Order it to come fast.

Any Ideas what breed the dad is?

colliemerles and DKDREAM like this.
  4. cardave

cardave PetForums Newbie

Thanks both of you for your help . The dad is a cocker spaniel too , they are both ours but it wasnt a planned mating . We took laya for her scan yesterday and the vet could see 3 but she said there is a possiblity of more , Laya is very big though .How accurate are the scans ? I saw that on ebay they sell whelping kits , has anyone tried them ? and know if they are any good . She will be due in 2 weeks so i really want to prepared .

5. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

The scans aren't that accurate you will be better using a sheep scanner. someone will be along with more info soon. if you search for whelping kit on this site you might find a list of things people have recommended. Good luck with the last part of the pregnancy and the delivery of the pups.

6. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

In the list I have sent you, It includes the petnap whelping kit, but much better if you buy it straight from the site (according to friends) than from ebay.

I have never used a cardboard whelping box, but they are supposed to be good. You might need 2 though.

Don't skimp on the vet bed. It is washable and you can use it for the dogs beds after. You want about 4 (sized to fit the whelping box) of a pale colour (white or cream) then about another 4 (same size) of any colour. The idea of pale colour is so you can see the colour of the discharge and the amount that the umbilicals are bleeding. Much easier than on a dark vet bed. The best quality is profleece, directly from their website. Some ebay cheaper vet beds actually shead, which is a major no no!

7. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Aww bless her. I have had springer pups but not cockers

Good luck with your girl and hope all goes well x

8. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I realised that after I posted sorry Ria ;)

9. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Alll the same to me lol :)

10. cardave

cardave PetForums Newbie

Ours are working type cocker spaniels so is suppose they are very similar to springer spaniels . Even though she is pregnant she still wants to be very active and would happily run all day if we let her so we have to keep a close eye on her and make sure she gets rest

11. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Allow her to do what she wants. Exercise is very important in a pregnant bitch. The fitter she remains, the easier the whelping is normally. She'll slow down when her body tells her too. Some don't slow down at all. She'll rest if she has to :) .

12. cardave

cardave PetForums Newbie

these our my 2 cocker spaniels :)

Attached Files:

13. Insane

Insane PetForums Senior

They are lovely. Which one is having pups?

14. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Just wondering how old is she? They look quite young in the picture but it may be an old picture. If she is younger than 18 months she is more likely to have problems. If she is older than 4 1/2 she's also likely to have problems. Both of these instances are likely to need a c section so please keep in close contact with your vet.

You don't have to put the age up, but I just wanted to let you know about the complications due to age during whelping. You can pm me or ring if you have any concerns

15. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

16. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

Just wanted to say good luck and hope all goes well, they are both nice looking dogs. keep us posted of their progress. What are their ages if you dont mind me asking?

17. cardave

cardave PetForums Newbie

its the brown and white one thats having pups . That is a old pic , she is 1yr and 9months now .

18. cardave

cardave PetForums Newbie

thanks for everyones replies and good wishes , i will keep everyone posted on how her pregnancy goes . im really excited now about the puppies coming :)

19. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

they are both lovely, good luck with the puppies when they arrive, keep us posted,:)

20. cardave

cardave PetForums Newbie

these are more recent pics as you can she shes getting big now :)

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice