Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whelping boxes

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by markbeth, Aug 25, 2013.

1. markbeth

markbeth PetForums Junior

Hello all. I know you can buy these online but last time we had a litter we made our own on from wood which we still have but won't be usin due to any cross infection. I liked the design and it worked well but I would like to make our own one similar to what we had with a few adjustments. My question is what can we use to seal the wood to make it easier to clean and reusable for any future litters? And of course it has to be puppy friendly

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I think if you're going to re-use a wooden box, you need to varnish or paint it with something you can clean down effectively. I know one breeder who had a wooden box they sanded down and re-varnished when they needed to use it again.

I bought a raised planting bed and painted that, then gave it to my elderly neighbours to use as they grow loads of veggies. It was cheap enough £55 from memory, haven't decided if I'll do the same again or buy in one I can clean down and reuse.

3. markbeth

markbeth PetForums Junior

Ok that sounds like a plan. I'm not keening buying a pre made one as there are specifics I would like personally. What was concerning me was that its safe for pups. Varnish will be on though wont it?

4. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

You can get different types of varnish, just have a look and see which ones give you the best sort of cleaning surface.

5. Doguiesrus

Doguiesrus PetForums Senior

Mine is wooden with ply bottom. I bought a off cut of thick Lino from carpet right and sealed with bathroom silicon. Then tiles the inside out with b&q value stick on tiles and sealed again with bathroom silicon. It's doing me fab. You could do this to yours and then you could use it as it will all disinfect down!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice