Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

whelping boxes.yes or no

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by nic76, May 24, 2010.

1. nic76

nic76 PetForums Member

my friend just uses her massive cage and luckily seems to work for her but i wondered about a whelping box?? what do you all do when whelping???

2. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

I use a whelping box. Cardboard throw away one's.....
    They have high sides to stop draughts and makes pups and mum feel more surcure, use can also attach whelping bars to prevent mum squashing pups against the sides then just dispose of the box once puppies move to the pen :thumbup:

3. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I use a paddling pool/ball pool for whelping, then move to a whelping box. The trouble with cages is the pups can get their legs through and may injure them.

#3 luvmydogs, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  4. jardine

jardine PetForums Member

We made a large wooden whelping box with high sides and it was brilliant, we varnished it so all the mess didnt soak into the wood, the pups stayed in it for ages which made it easy with our other dogs, when we finished with it we unscrewed it and put it away incase we ever breed again.

5. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Whelping box everytime.

6. Lucy1012

Lucy1012 PetForums Senior

I have bought a cardboard one, they came highly reccomended to me. My bitch has been using hers as a bed for a week now (she is due any day) Also after having children myself, i know how reassuring it is for them to be in the place i put them. You would be amazed how far little pups can manage to get. At least with the whelping box they will be contained and safe for the first couple of weeks.

7. nic76

nic76 PetForums Member

thankyou.whelping box it is. we have a cage but was goning to use it when a bit bigger for night time. i was going to put cardboard around it so they couldnt get paws stuck..

8. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I use a basket until pups can get out. Which is'nt very long lol and then I bought to travel cots. One for upstairs and one for down :)

9. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I meant to put 2 travel cots :)

10. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

I have a whelping box made by the factory manager where mum works (they sell racking and shelves). It is really easy to clean and had a removable pig rail, was in there until the pups were about 3 weeks old and starting using it to escape! It's 4' x 3.5' and was plenty big enough for my litter of 4 Border Collie puppies.

Here's mum with pups in the whelping box when they were 6 days old.
    [​IMG]

11. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Large wooden, wipeable whelping boxes.

I would be worried that I couldn't get in to a crate if I needed to, and the pups could get stuck between the bars.

12. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

Whelping box with pig rails for any medium+ or heavy breeds.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice