UK Pet Forums Forum banner

What's your Wormer and Flea routine?

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Notnowbernard 
#1 ·
hi,

When do you flea and worm? Also what products do you use?

I've just noticed that the normal Advantage I've been using doesn't treat 'normal' worms. I use Milbemax every 3 mths but thinking of extending this to say, 4 monthly. I have 2 outdoor cats. Grateful for advice as I need to do them.

#3 ·
Hi Lucy,

My cats are also outdoors. Prolific hunters and all day in the fields!
I alway use milbemax every 3 mths as it covers all types of worm and personally think it's the best broad spectrum wormer on the market. At least you know they are covered.
With flea treatment, there have been a lot of issues with fipronil resistance (found in Frontline, Effipro etc). We use Effipro at the shelter where i work (due to its cost) and we have had a lot of phonecalls from new owners who noticed fleas on their newly adopted cats! and it seemed my cats had brought back unwelcome visitors too :eek:
I alternate with Stronghold and Advocate which are proving fantastic and no jumping fleas in sight! :thumbsup:
Stronghold can be used together with milbemax but you must leave at least a week between treatment if combining with Advocate :)
For outdoor cats you need something more heavy duty! The only hassle is they are prescription only.

#4 ·
Milbemax covers all worms? I thought it was just for Tapeworm, so my cats are covered then?

I will stick to 3 monthly then as mine are also prolific hunters, unfortunately.

The local cat rescue recommended Advantage which I normally give them every 3 to 3.5 weeks. I've only ever seen one flea when I first got one of them but none since. On seeing it, I treated them both immediately and sprayed the entire house with Indorex house spray. Almost daily I'm looking for them or any dirt on their coats but never find any which is good.

Now, I'm just a bit worried I'm not worming them thoroughly.

#5 ·
Milbemax pretty much covers everything! Even some very new & strange types of worm never heard of!!
Your routine sound absolutely fine...worming with the Milbemax every 3mths is more than enough to cover for worms and it seems Advantage is working for you so i'd stick with it :)

#7 ·
Is it necessary to do a flea treatment every month on an indoor cat? Louie doesn't venture out, and I am only ever around cats that are religiously defleaed (my mother has a weird phobia of her cat bringing home fleas) or are totally indoor cats.

I find that Lou isn't himself after using the treatments, very sleepy, no appetite. I have tried three so far, Advocate, Frontline combo and now I am using Advantage with a worming tablet all with the same results. Said it to the vet and he said some cats just need a day or two, but I don't like the thought of the chemicals being that strong that it makes him feel funny or sick so back to the question, is it ok to leave it every second month or am I asking for trouble?

#8 ·
I used to use Frontline on my boys up until a few months ago, when I found flea dirt on Seb and a couple of fleas in the house. Sprayed the house with Indorex and changed to Advocate, no problems since :D

Frank and Seb are outdoor cats, I flea them once a month with the Advocate which treats all worms apart from tape worm. They are wormed every 3 months, Frank with Droncit tablets and Seb with Droncit spot on.

#9 ·
We use Revolution for fleas, mites and most types of worms. It works great :)
For the hydatid tapeworm we use Milbemax, which also backs up the worm treatment from revolution so nothing gets missed. Milbemax is once every 3 months, revolution we do once a month to start with, after 4 or 5 treatments you an get away with once every 3 months. If you cats are indoor or cattery based cats

#10 ·
Is it necessary to do a flea treatment every month on an indoor cat? Louie doesn't venture out, and I am only ever around cats that are religiously defleaed (my mother has a weird phobia of her cat bringing home fleas) or are totally indoor cats.

I find that Lou isn't himself after using the treatments, very sleepy, no appetite. I have tried three so far, Advocate, Frontline combo and now I am using Advantage with a worming tablet all with the same results. Said it to the vet and he said some cats just need a day or two, but I don't like the thought of the chemicals being that strong that it makes him feel funny or sick so back to the question, is it ok to leave it every second month or am I asking for trouble?
I don't flea treat my indoor cats and have never had a problem with fleas. I think I treated my first two a couple of times, years back but not since then. I do however keep on top of worming. I studied parasitology quite heavily at university and have a minor obsession as a result!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.