Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What's your thoughts on the BEBO suicides in the news?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BredaKim, Jan 23, 2008.

1. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

The copycat suicides of seven young people in a Welsh town have sparked fears of an internet death cult.

All of the victims - aged between 17 and 27 - were from Bridgend and hanged themselves within the past year.

Some knew each other while several had posted their profiles on networking site Bebo.

Internet memorial sites for the dead have also been created, leading police to fear they wanted to achieve "fame".

The latest to die was 17-year-old Natasha Randall who hanged herself in her bedroom.

She used the name sxiwildchild on her Bebo page.

South Wales Police has been examining her computer and a task force including officers, schools and health workers are now investigating her death.

Did anyone read about these 7 kids who committed suicide through some sort of a 'pact' on BEBO? their poor parents!! They must be really devestated!:(

2. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

very sad,,what a waste of such young lives,,,,,,,,,,,,,:(:(

3. BredaKim

Oh isn't it...such a waste. :( How do people get caught up in thi type of thing?
    My kids use bebo to communicate with mates, old friends and relatives...some of the sites or 'users' they have shown me make you wonder:(

4. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

It is so sad:(

I agree Darren the internet can be abused so easily and cause so much pain..........lets hope kids and parent will learn from this tradgedy. Such a pointless waste of young lives :(

My kids are not allowed to use the internet unless ther is supervision as there is to much that could go wrong

5. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

its the only way to be sure they are safe and not be roped into something seedy or as above deadly. I shudder to think. This news has only strengthened my opinion that I am doing the right thing

6. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

Think it's tradgic and a real waste of life-i really do, but i also think as much "Courage" as it takes to actually end your life, it's also a very selfish act to commit:)The planning of the act,thinking about the people who may miss you but not thinking too much for them but justifying the act to yourself ,sorry don't want to offend anyone, i just think everyone has at least one person, pet etc that their suicide will affect dramatically:)And it really isn't a fair deal to force that much misery and despair on anyone:)When you think everyone goes thru some poo stuff in life and no matter how big or small the pile, it's a big pile to that person and how simple it would be to just right i'm off now sort of thing, but you don't because you life isn't just about us-so yep-i'm done now

7. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

It's quite horrid.
    It probably is some kind of online cult sorta thing. I can see how they'd be taken in and it is such a waste.

The weird thing is that town is where one of my favourite bands is from and one of my mates ex's live there :eek:

8. BredaKim

I totally agree SK, although I can understand depression to a degree...chemical brain imbalance and all that...Ican't help thinking it is a selfish act...like you I do not wish to offend anyone...I have been there with my step son...who tried many times and despite all the help we got for him was successful in the end...I have to say thatmy strongest emotion about the whole saga (which incidentallywent on for a good few years)was real anger. What he put his father through, no man (or woman) should have to go through.
    He was married four weeks...just back from a three week honeymoon in america...and tried again (Just when we all thought we were through the worst and could see a bright light at the end of that long dark tunnel) he succeeded...left behind a new wife...father...sisters etc etc
    Such a bloody waste...I'm still angry aboiut it to this day.

9. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

I agre with both of you.
    It is rather selfish. I remember one of my close friends was very very depressed at one point and the only thing i said to her was that it is her choice but she should think of all the people it'll upset. luckily i think she must of thought long and hard and she's alot happier now.

10. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

I'm sorry to have brought forth angry and hurtful memories, this was not my intention.And i didn't post my view flippantly, it's well i guess it's touched nerves with all of us-unfortunately.Lets sincerely hope we all at least can really learn some lessons from this whole sorry situation. Isn't it amazing how though we are in the most exciting century thus far,in a lot of ways we are also so deeply underground and behind it kinda beggars belief.

11. daveleeuk

daveleeuk PetForums Member

Personally I think it's plain stupid. What do they think they'll achieve by commiting suicide? It's the most selfish thing one can do.

I have sympathy for their families, and I think it's unfair to blame Bebo. I'm not a Bebo user, but I do use Facebook and occaisionally Myspace, and I think these sites are great if used securely and correctly.

Things like this will always happen, dispite the existence or non existence of social networking websites. If they didn't exist they'd just use Forums, or Phones, or Chat sites etc etc etc. It's just inevitable, and unfortunate.

12. colliemerles

hi,, im glad you have come to join in general chat,,, please feel free to start a new thread on anything ,,

13. daveleeuk

I have some ideas :p

14. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

I dont agree that it is always a selfish act........some people suffer so much and so badly with depression and truly believed that despite the heart ache that they will cause, that their fammily and friends will be better off without them.......they just cant cope with life and feel that they are pulling their family down with them and hurting them much more than if they were dead. We know this not to be true but sufferers of depression do not think rationaly about these things .

15. colliemerles

good,, its gone abit quiet so any new ideas welcome,,,,:)

16. daveleeuk

I see where you're coming from, but I believe family is family, and no matter what another family member has done to you/your family you and your family (is this confusing!) would never wish another family member dead.

The only way a suicide isn't selfish, is if the person literally has no one. No family, no friends. And I don't believe anyone in a non third world country is better off dead, we should be greatful we are alive and healthy. And make the most of what we are lucky enough to have.

17. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

its not that simple to say we should be happy with what we got...when you suffer with depression this is not possible, they are in conflict with their own mind....they know what they have and that it could be much worse but their mind cannot rationalise this...........and I didnt say that anyone is better off dead but that it is exactly how these poor people feel........they are not intentionaly trying to be selfish (exept a very small minority even though this is a consiquence of their action.

18. daveleeuk

I just don't get depression, it just doesn't make sense to me. I guess unless you have been through it, it's a hard thing to understand.

I simply canot percieve how anyone could ever think they would be better off dead!

19. colliemerles

vixie where is your avatar gone with your legs on it,??????????

20. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

I couldnt do it but I know someone very close to me who is going through this very thing at the moment so I understand a lot more than I used to and my views on the subject have changed a lot and I respect anyone who suffers with depression as its a horrible thing to deal with as it is for their families.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice