UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I think he's definately getting one, they've got a 9 month old rocky too, he's lovely.
Whats a rocky? :confused: He's asking for trouble getting another pup IMHO.

ETA: My opinion on the cross is that they are likely to be big, high energy dogs. Not for your average pet owner.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats a rocky? :confused: He's asking for trouble getting another pup IMHO.

ETA: My opinion on the cross is that they are likely to be big, high energy dogs. Not for your average pet owner.
Rottweiler,

I was thinking that's what they'll be like, luckily they've got the best kind of household for that type of dog.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Oh you mean Rottie!!! LOL

What kind of household do they have? Will they be working with the 2 pups separately?

·
Registered
808 Posts
[Smart high energy guarding breed prone to nervosity issues] + [BIG guarding breed prone to dog-on-dog aggression] + [extremely smart extremely high energy herding breed prone to obsessive behaviour and nervosity issues] = a big, high energy dog that would be likely to express fear as aggression.

I wouldn't go near that combo. Sounds like it could maybe work if you're really experienced and have a job for the dog to do, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to make a suitable pet in most situations.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Do they have experience in such a big high energy working breed?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I think your friend's dad's family sound like great owners for this cross. I would be very interested to see what it looks like. I think as long as they know what they are doing, and I think with a rottie, they have experience, then go for it. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think that no matter who takes on a dog or puppy if they have the strength to go on with the dog and realise the responsibility involved then this will make then great owners. determination and love for your pets is all you need :thumbup:

looking forward to pics :thumbup: i agree sounds like a very interesting mix! i bet they look gorgeous!

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I think your friend's dad's family sound like great owners for this cross. I would be very interested to see what it looks like. I think as long as they know what they are doing, and I think with a rottie, they have experience, then go for it. :)
Their Rottie is 9 months. Having a farm isn't perfect per se. I just hope they will work them, seeparately, or they will be asking for trouble.

G

·
might they consider a rescue instead? im certain there will be similar crosses desperate for a loving home if they check out rescues in their area.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Their Rottie is 9 months. Having a farm isn't perfect per se. I just hope they will work them, seeparately, or they will be asking for truble.
so, they still have experience of a large breed. what's wrong with a farm? a farm can be a perfect environment for dogs, they are usually out all day, being walked, have acres of land to roam. I think some farm dogs get better lives than most dogs in urban areas. also how do you work a rottie? they are guarding dogs.

·
Banned
9,695 Posts
so, they still have experience of a large breed. what's wrong with a farm? a farm can be a perfect environment for dogs, they are usually out all day, being walked, have acres of land to roam. I think some farm dogs get better lives than most dogs in urban areas. also how do you work a rottie? they are guarding dogs.
Rotties are also herding and carting dogs.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If they live on the farm surely they can help around by pulling carts for the other farm animals *if there are any farm animals*

As Rotties are a deep chested strong breed, so pulling things around for the owner would be a good work out surely?

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
My sister has one, she rescued him when he had gone to the vets to be pts as the owners didnt want him any longer, he spends all day with her at the stables and just mingles with the ponies, chickens, ducks, geese etc and is best friends with her other rescue a border terrier.

He is an absolute sweetheart and is as daft as a brush :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.