Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What's your daily routine?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by NikiJackson, Feb 19, 2008.

1. NikiJackson

NikiJackson PetForums Newbie

Just wondering how your daily routine pans out with your dog and working it around your commitments?

Do you have your dog in a crate while you are out or does he/she have her own space to roam while you are not there?

I'd love to know what you all do on a day to day basis. I am currently glued to the puppy in the house all day everyday atm which is driving me a little crazy. I love her but she is very demanding right now, I'd love some tips on how I can manage my commitments and still give her all she needs on a daily basis?

I am a full time artist and so far I've had no time at all to paint , I've not been out to the shops in 2 weeks. She still can't go out for another week and a half, she only had her booster jab last Wednesday and the vet told me it'll be 2 weeks before she can go out She is 11 1/2 weeks old.

So any tips I would be very grateful!

Thanks.
    Niki

2. dogsdinner

dogsdinner PetForums Junior

I've had dallies for 12 years and have a 6 month old puppy. I find that a routine of sleep - pee in the garden - play - eat - sleep again does them well for a few months and even now she is in a crate all night and if I go out also during quiet parts of the day. My older ones are loose all the time but sleep a lot of it.
    Puppies need a lot of sleep but they get so wound up playing they have to come down to earth which they find hard so a crate is good and they get used to it quickly. You need to ignore the squarking and after a short time they are asleep. My routine when I got her was 2 hours sleep (5-6 hours overnight) then it was pee time, play time then back in the crate with some food. 2 hours later repeat. Gradually she stayed out longer, played longer etc. If I'm out for a few hours she is still in her crate which is a big one but as she is now going to shows she has no problem sitting in a smaller one at the show.
    I work from home and set aside a time of day to work (us. 2 sessions) when all the dogs know it's quiet time they seem to pick up on the older ones.
    Good luck!

3. AJ

AJ Guest

Why not see if there are any reputable pet sitters in your area that could pop in and keep your puppy company while you go out to do the shopping or some work?

4. NikiJackson

Thanks this has helped me a lot!

Niki

5. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Agree totally with dogsdinner, funny how vets differ thou ours says a week after jabs we had another one that said they could go out straight away!!!!

Crate training is the way forward all ours are crate trained and it is invaluable.

Good luck with your pup and don't let the pup rule your life now cos it will rule it for the next ?? years

6. dogsdinner

dogsdinner PetForums Junior

Your welcome PM me if I can help in any way (I,ll try anyway!;))

7. englishrose943

englishrose943 PetForums VIP

Sounds like you have fell hook, line and sinker for you baby. Like most of us do lol. After dinner times put her in the garden for a short time to relieve herself then let her back in and then again after sleep etc. Also try to leave the pup for short periods of time in the crate while you potter around the house so she will get use to it. Then try 5 mins longer every time and then eventually she will adjust. She is ruling you at the moment dont let it carry on. Your the boss and when you need time out she has got to understand that. Good luck.:D

8. NikiJackson

Yes you are right! I did go out today yay!!! Went down to the local cafe and shops with my Mum and came back to find 'Ellie' dopey from being asleep, so she was fine being left, which I am relieved about. I didn't leave her for long, about an hour I think it must have been.

Thanks for your help!
    Niki

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice