Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What's wrong with Oscar? Really worried

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SmittenKitten, Aug 24, 2013.

1. SmittenKitten

SmittenKitten PetForums Member

Hi, neurotic mum here again :D

I've noticed today that Oscar is making a weird swallowing action that he's never done before. He seems ok in himself though. At first I wondered if he was going to be sick. He hasn't but keeps making this noise. He's eating normally.

What is this and do I need to take him to the vet? I've got them both booked in for vaccinations next week. Would have done it sooner but had to wait till Oscar finished his antibiotics for conjunctivitis (which seems to have cleared up fine).

I can't cope with this worrying about them all the time :(

2. muffin789

muffin789 PetForums Senior

Wonder if it might be hairball related?? Pudds does this occasionally, and it's often the precursor to a horrible hairy snake :(

Try some hairball paste or whatever it's called, perhaps? And keep an eye on him, obviously!!

3. SmittenKitten

Thank you muffin. Is a hair ball serious? Where can I get hair ball paste? Sorry, I know these are daft questions. We had cats growing up and I don't ever remember them getting hair balls.

I bought them a little packet of toys that were Pom poms with Sparkley bits on. Oscar is obsessed with them but I can't find any of the four we got so now I'm panicking that he's swallowed one :(

4. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Hairballs are quite common and not usually serious. My fluffy cat used to get them quite often. You can get paste at the pet shop, he may just have a hair stuck in his throat though, Sounds like a common cough :)

5. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

have you had a good look down the back of his throat, be firm and have a good look , get someone to shine a torch or light at the same time, if you cant find these pom poms i would be a bit concerned , have you checked the hoover bag ? has he been eating properly? hopefully it is a furr ball ,id be happier if the pom poms were found:eek: check his food intake and poops too:eek:

6. SmittenKitten

Oh god, I googled and I shouldn't have :/

Some results were showing distemper. That's not likely is it? I think I'm going to worry until they've been vaccinated that they could catch something although I'm keeping them both indoors for now.

Will he cough up a fur ball? How long shall I leave him before going to the vets?

7. SmittenKitten

He's eating and drinking fine. The Pom poms are about 5cm in diameter. Is that too big to swallow? Will go and check now. He goes a bit nuts with them, scooting them about the room until they get wedged in clothes baskets and things so he may have lost them all that way.

8. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

does his body heave when hes doing the swallowing ,that is more like hairball ,if its just swallowing ,maybe acid reflux-like heartburn, or foreign body in throat?how long has he been doing it ,id pop to the vets for a check up maybe try the furrball paste too

9. SmittenKitten

No, his body doesn't heave. He just sticks his neck out and makes a sick/chocking type noise. He's doing it every few minutes. I will call the vets first thing tomorrow.

10. SmittenKitten

Forgot to say it only started today. I can't put my finger on it but he looks 'different' somehow. I think his nose looks pinker and his eyes are quite glazed. I was putting it down to him growing and changing but I'm worried now that he's ill :(

11. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

do try to have a good look down his neck ,be careful not to lose a finger though, if you can get your little finger to have a feel , i cant imagine his airway is restricted though if he has been eating normally, have you got ant tuna fish with olive oil?

12. SmittenKitten

Yes, we've got a load of tins in the cupboard. Should I try feeding him some? I was in bed but I've come back down to check on him. He's happily playing and is not making the noise at the moment. Very confusing!

13. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

i think i read somewhere that olive oil can help with the fur ball , the tuna might give him runny poo though, i dont think a small portion would do any harm though, he will probably think its xmas, lol,how old is he ?

14. SmittenKitten

Good idea, or maybe the oil might help if he has a sore throat.

He's 13 weeks. I bought some frozen cod to try with them as I keep hearing a raw diet is best. Can anyone recommend a really good cat care book? I'm driving myself mad with all the worry about whether I'm doing thing right.

I swear I wasn't this bad when my daughter was a baby :/

15. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

i would maybe try cod but cooked first, i have to admit i just bought what the pet shops recommended ,like the same brands in kitten form ,i ve been here a few mths and now i give raw a couple of times a week, i would google for best book, i think your kitten is still quite young so in the wild he would probably be still geting reguritated meals from mum , maybe starting to share a mouse or a bird , you could try with a little raw diced chicken or minced meat and cooked white fish/without bones, along side a wet good quality tin food , dry isnt that good for cats in the long run so not much point letting them get addicted to it at this young age , i think ther are some good sticky threads on here about raw feeding, hope his throat gets better

16. tonytibbs

tonytibbs Banned

Two things spring to my mind.... acid reflux (indigestion) can cause cats to constantly swallow and is a bit painful (vets have meds to help with that), has a change of food happened recently? If he is a new pet, nerves and insecurity of his new surrounding, can cause cats to swallow/gulp motion alot. Fingers crossed for the little guy, and it isn't anything to worry about. And if it is a furball it should pass soon.

#16 tonytibbs, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  17. tonytibbs

tonytibbs Banned

Yikes...danger danger small kittens and fish with bones. A big no no!!!! Please just stick to regular kitten food for now. When they are a bit older, say 6 months then explore other options if that is what you want to do. Please be very careful of advice given on forums, best bet is to call the vet on the phone, they will give some advice (free via phone if you are registered). Better than us lot "guessing". And if the vet or nurse is concerned they will indicate whether waiting until vacs appointment to see the wee guy is okay.

18. tonytibbs

tonytibbs Banned

Sorry to post again, just read your opening post again and noticed Oscar has been on antibiotics... Antibiotics can cause acid reflux and the symptoms you are describing. Especially antirobe it it notorious for causing reflux. But nothing to worry about if this is the case, try not to change his current diet and resist giving him oil (kittens can inhale that into their lungs by mistake). Just give him lots of fuss and keep him relaxed, animals can feed off our anxiety. Call the vets in the morning if you are still worried.... or I can pm you my number if you need someone to chat to about your concerns.

19. leashedForLife

i'd do that! :thumbup:

first thing it makes me think of is PINS... or needles, or thread, or string, or fishline or...

cats have backward pointing hooks on their tongues, so oce something is well started down by the tongue,
    they have a helluva time getting it back out, & any small sharp pbjects or THREAD-like things are dangers.

Do U home sew? Knit? Crochet?

DENTAL FLOSS is especially dangerous, discard it in a covered can the cat cannot get into.

NEVER pull any cord or stringlike object that hangs from an animal's mouth or anus -
    that's an immediate vet emergency, no matter what day of the year or time of day.

20. leashedForLife

stick to canned fish - not raw. Canned bones are soft & friable, safe to eat. Fish bones are NOT safe
    to eat raw, period, & fish can carry many parasites, bacteria, & toxins when raw.

Raw beef, chicken, organs, whatever; not fish! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice