Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What's wrong with my jack russell?? please help

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by charlielolalotta, Jan 13, 2012.

1. charlielolalotta

charlielolalotta PetForums Newbie

We rescued two jack russell's just over a week ago, Harry and Maisie. Ever since we've got them, Harry has been coughing quite a bit almost like he's trying to get something out of his mouth. They are up to date with vaccines and have been wormed etc but I've just noticed about 10 minutes ago, Harry keeps throwing his head back and kind of licking his lips and smacking them together and not whining but whispering? He then carries on as normal cleaning himself but then he'll do it again. Does anyone know what this could be? He's currently on my bed next to me cleaning himself but he'll stop every so often. It's as if he has something in his throat.

Thank you in advance.xx

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I would go to the vet if it has persisted for a week - I would take them both anyway for a check if you have only just got them.

3. charlielolalotta

They were both checked over by the vet before we took them home. The vaccination's and worming were included in the price. I will take him to the vet anyway but just wanted to know if this had happened to anyone else.

4. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Can i just say before you go to the vets please tell them that one of your dogs is coughing, they may ask you to wait outside in car untill they are ready for you just in case the dog has kennel cough, did they come from a rescue kennel? if so and its kc it will be best to contact them aswell,
    Congrats for taking on 2 rescues i have 2 rescues and they are fantastic

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

The usual vaccines do not include kennel cough, that is usually a separate one that is in-tracked through the nose. So if he hasnt had theat he wont be protected. Kennel cough is a virus and usually has to take its course, usually the dogs OK, but you can get secondary infections, where you see discharge from the nose, and they are often off colour. It is contagious though cant remember the period of incubation but I would really expect both to get it if its that.

Only other thing Is maybe he has something stuck in his throat or the roof of his mouth they often do as you describe when they have.

One of mine did have a cough once and we found out it was when he played with the other one who was moulting he was getting hair in his mouth and that was making him cough and wretch. As you have mentioned he is cleaning himself could it be that if he is heavily moulting?

Dont know what age they are but particularly if he is a bit older dog, its always best to check coughing out, to make sure his heart and lungs are clear and OK.

In the meantime if you have some if he will lick some honey off a spoon that often will coat and soothe an irritating cough. Might just give some relief until a vet can check him over.

6. Debs2460

Debs2460 PetForums Junior

Sounds like it may be kennel cough. My 3 had it recently in varying degrees, started off like one of them had something lodged in the throat, then they all gradually got it. I just kept them in for a while and it soon went. It's a virus and can't be treated anyway, but if they get a chest infection they may be given antibiotics. That's what my vet told me.

If it is kennel cough you shouldn't let them out for a walk where there are other dogs as it's very contagious.

Well done on adopting 2 Jacks, never a dull moment, brilliant little dogs.

7. charlielolalotta

Thank you so much this has been really helpful! Yes we did get them from a rescue kennel they were found together on the streets so we had to have them both :) Maisie is absolutely fine at the moment but I will take Harry to the vet for sure.

Definitely never a dull moment! I have a 2 year old as well so I am always kept busy!

Thank again for the comments xx

hazel pritchard likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice