Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What's wrong with my goldfish? plz help!!!!

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Catherine S, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Catherine S

Catherine S PetForums Newbie

Hi, I own 4 freshwater goldfish (had them for about a month), three of them are fine however 1 (fantail) seems to be unwell as it has been hanging at the bottom of the tank in the live plants for the past few days and its tail is starting to fray. It only comes up when I feed them but goes back down after being fed, it has also been breathing rapidly. I have added fin rot medication and aquarium salt and have done a 50% water change yesterday but have seen no results.
    PH - 6.8
    Ammonia - 0.25ppm
    nitrites - 0ppm
    Nitrates - 0 - 5.0ppm
    these were the readings before the water change

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Any reading of ammonia is toxic. Test your tap water as well as your tank on a regular basis and do daily partial water changes until it's at zero. Was the tank cycled before they were added? What size tank is it? Make sure your filter is breaking the surface of the water as this will help with oxygen in the water column.

kittih likes this.
  3. Catherine S

uh the tank was actually not cycled before they were added and I think the tank itself is about 90 litres but for the water, it would be 70 litres. i'm not 100% sure if it's fin rot but the fish's tail has started to fray and seem ragged

4. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

What size filtration on it do you have? I imagine the Goldies are pretty tiny at the moment, they'll need larger as they grow. But even little ones are messy so need filtration for at least double the volume of the tank. Your tank sounds like it may be coming to the end of the cycling process and cycled with the fish in there. It's a harsh process so this Fantail may have muddled through and now is feeling the effects. If the fins are ragged, it's most likely fin rot which needs the medication to stop further infection. Medication can mess with the bacteria in the filter media, catch 22! Surface movement is a must right now to keep oxygen levels high.

Catherine S likes this.
  5. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Goldfish are messy fish. Standard ones can grow up to a foot in length and live for 30 plus years if kept in the correct confitions. Fancies grow to the size of cricket balls and can be shorter lived but still live for many many years. They produce vast quantities of waste and will quickly and easily outgrow a 3ft tank. Standards require a pond. Fancies can live in a tank but for 4 fish need a much larger one and lots of filtration.

If you didn't do a fishless cycle before adding the fish then they will all have been exposed to high levels of nitrite and ammonia. Both are highly toxic and as well as hampering proper function of the gills making it hard to breathe they will also badly irritate the skin and cause damage to internal organs. I am surprised your fish are not more seriously affected.

I suggest the following. Do daily 50% water changes. Add seachem prime to the water as this detoxifies the pollutants whilst allowing the bacteria to feed and grow.

Water changes and detoxifying the ammonia will go a long way to helping your fish regain bus health.

Read up on the nitrogen cycle in aquarium, fishless cycling, new tank syndrome and cycling with fish.

Good luck. Hope your fish gets better.

Catherine S likes this.
  6. Catherine S

I'm not sure about the size of the filter as it just came with the tank and has no labels or anything

7. Catherine S

Thanks, everyone for the replies but unfortunately, the little guy didn't make it :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice