Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whats this on my dogs lip?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Dumbletide, May 4, 2021 at 7:45 AM.

1. Dumbletide

Dumbletide PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Had the dog for around 2 weeks and he's had it since he's been picked up.

He's been for a vet check, they've said he's healthy and not mentioned it, but I thought I would leave it and see if it would heal.

He's a sprocker 11 weeks old

Any help is appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It looks rather like a minor injury but I'd expect more healing in 2 weeks. Has it changed at all?
    Mention it next time you take him, if it's not better. You'll be going every month or so for weight gain checks?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Dumbletide

Thanks for the reply.

Haven't noticed at all in terms of it getting any bigger or small, there is some pus that leaks from it, then just forms into a scab, so whether he is scratching it at night. (We keep him in a crate) he barks when left alone whilst we are sleeping so I can imagine all may be related.

He is going to the vets on Friday but thought I would have a general idea.. we are first time puppy owners (had many dogs before with parents) so anything he picks up, is the usual 'oh let's google it'!

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Sorry, it isn't related to what you asked, but this isn't a great idea. the advice to leave dogs to bark/cry it out is quite old fashioned and we now know it does more harm than good.

At this stage, he is an infant who has just been separated from mum and littermates and meeting his emotional needs is just as important as meeting his physical needs. When he is barking at night, it is because he is alone in the dark and anxious. By you being there for him, you won't make him clingy, you will help him develop his confidence by protecting him from the scary night time and he will grow in confidence as he learns there is nothing to fear. You are not ”rewarding his crying,” you are meeting a fundamental need of an infant.

Hopefully you wouldn't leave a child who was afraid of the dark to cry themselves to sleep, alone. Your puppy is the same. The dogs that stop barking don't do so because they suddenly realise everything is ok, they do it because they have given up hope. It is an extreme example but in trauma victims, it's the silent ones who are most damaged.

This article explains the science behind it.

http://www.simplybehaviour.com/letting-dog-cry-cause-permanent-damage/

O2.0, Whiteshadow and Boxer123 like this.
  5. Dumbletide

Thanks alot for your message, will take this on board and adapt.

Think we just looked at the advice given from friends and family and also the breeder to ignore the crying at night time because they want attention. I went down the first evening let him out the cage thinking he wanted a toilet and he was super excited and infact didn't want to go to the toilet at all!

6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

+1 for not letting him cry it out. This is outdated advice. Puppy’s need reassurance or you could be setting up for further issues when he is older.

O2.0, JoanneF and Whiteshadow like this.
  7. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

well, yes they do want attention - but the important thing is why they want attention.

At this age, in nature, animals would not be left alone. So they aren't trying to get your attention to push your buttons. They are trying to get your attention because being alone is scary.

You might find this article interesting (not all pups will want or need play dates though, but apart from that it makes a good read).

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/behavior/kidnapped-from-planet-dog/

Burrowzig and O2.0 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice