Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

whats the WORST advice you been given?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by vickieb, Jan 27, 2012.

1. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

just remembered this last night......

worst advice I ever been given re pulling on lead.

was walking Ern near our house, he was about 6 months old..... very excited and pulling to see these fellas, one o the fellas says and I quote;

'ere luv, you now what you need to do to stop that, get a choke collar and lift him right off the floor and hold him there for a bit! he will soon stop pulling if you do that'

:eek: :mad:

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. tiggerthumper

tiggerthumper PetForums VIP

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    I've just had the usual things like whacking with a newspaper, never had anything as awful as that! What a horrible man!

3. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

A favorite one round here for dogs ...If he doesnt do as hes told give his ear a good twist..:mad:

For kids a South African woman once advised me 'if they dont listen prick them with a fork' I made sure my kids never went to her house!

4. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

That's true. I've never seen a dog pull when it's not breathing.

5. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I've had many from need to show maya whoose the boss, bite her ear (stupid snow dog film) and so many I can't think right.

Probably the one person who mentioned I should get a whip and whip her to make her pull after I mentioned she doesn't pull :mad:

6. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

I've had plenty of terrible advice from so called "experts" :rolleyes: but one that stands out is a sort-of family member telling me if he pulls on the lead give it a VERY sharp, hard tug backwards, really hard :mad: Yes, excellent idea, I'll just break my dogs throat (or whatever the technical term is for the bones there!), that'll do the trick. T**t :rolleyes:

Oh and when he was younger and doing the usual puppy nipping, to smack him on the nose every time he nips :rolleyes:

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

When I first had Millie for the week holiday she was here for, her owner told me ''if she does anything you don't like just give her a good smack'' And I am sure at one point he told me to hit her with a shovel!

:mad:

He has ruined her. I think if it wasn't for him she could quite happily live in a family but once she has a panic she runs around the room barking at you and doesn't care what she bumps into or jumps on and the only way to get her to stop is to leave the room. Unlike my dogs you have to do everything calmly around her not make sudden movements and not raise your voice. She spends half the time flinching away from us :(

8. Izzysmummy

Izzysmummy PetForums VIP

When my parents got their dog it was on condition that they returned to the breeder for one on one training sessions. Her methods; nipping-smack on the nose, pulling on the lead-choke chain, chasing livestock-shock collar! :eek: needless to say they didn't stick to her training methods.

9. kezza30

kezza30 PetForums Junior

Rub your dogs nose in his waste will stop him doing it again:rolleyes: Apparantly that's what you used to do before I was born:confused:

10. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

Two weeks ago I took my new Rescue to new training club. He was a bit anxious (not had him long) so he was trying to leap in to my arms for a cuddle. (He is huge but still thinks he`s a puppy).
    The woman said - we`ll have to stop that with a spray bottle. I simply said - I don`t think so`. and called him to a sit with a treat. I didn`t go back.

11. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

I've had every way of being told how to be "pack leader" possible...mostly from my dad who has finally learnt Tummel doesn't do the whole "dominant/submissive" thing(not even joking, he throws it back in my dad's face all the time!!!) but will work well for food :rolleyes:

My aunt has tried to tell me to follow CM...she has 2 dogs(one DA the other is reactive to the DA one) who never get walked or trained, are fed bakers, have no toys or treats because of RG issues(funnily enough there's no massive problem when they visit my mum and play with Tummels toys) and have no boundaries...last time they visited the DA one went for Tummel twice(she used to love him), nipped me twice, nipped my OH 5 times and apparently the nipping is getting worse(she jumped up and nipped my mum hard last time they went to visit my aunt). The dogs live in a tiny flat with 4 people and only get out round the block 3 times a day for the loo....yet i'm supposed to take advice on how to train my well behaved, well exercised and well fed dog from them??? Nahhhh :blush:

Tummels first owners used to punish him with a spray bottle to the face...left him petrified of water(he once wet himself in fear at the sound of the sea) and he would start screaming if he could see it...he didn't go into water willingly until he was about 6/7 months old and even now he doesn't swim unless he has no choice or he wants to see another dog thats swimming.

12. lotlot

lotlot PetForums VIP

It's shocking how some people's minds work isn't it?!

I was told to bite Finlay's ear whenever he bit me as a puppy :eek: I actually burst out laughing not knowing that she was being serious haha

13. Dotte

Dotte PetForums Senior

The worst advice I've ver gotten about Bryson is to spank him when he's bold, and this was from a close friend, I couldnt believe what I heard and to shove my fingers down his throat when he bit be, safe to say I've never done either, who would ever think of these things? :mad:

14. Galadriel17

Galadriel17 PetForums VIP

It’s shocking how there are still so many people out there who think dogs can be treated like 2nd class citizens!! Luckily (perhaps for the giver!) I don’t think I’ve had any ‘advice’ given to me which equates to physical cruelty although I have had some very bad advice given to me when I first got Buster with the best of intentions…

That’s awful, the best way to stop a dog pulling is to stop walking and give a quick tug on the lead but not really hard like that!! And not backwards either – to the side, if you pull backwards the dog will just resist even more!

When we first got Buster he was 3 years old and was a total wreck, he was so anxious and fearful he’d pee everywhere even if you just bent down to stoke him. I was told by someone to go with your instinct as a human and ‘reassure’ him like you would with a child in a similar situation by quietly talking, cuddling and stroking him however this only made him worse and after I started doing some research I soon realised doing that was essentially telling him “I want you to be a trembling wreck because every time you are I’ll reward you by giving you lots of love and a fuss” so the woman is right to a certain degree in that you shouldn’t allow him to jump on you when he’s like that or give him cuddles but I wouldn’t use a spray bottle, I think just ignoring him when he’s like that is the best thing to do, that’s what we did with Buster and it’s worked a treat, he’s a totally different dog now :)

15. littleangel01

littleangel01 PetForums VIP

i once contacted a trainer for advice on how to call lexi away from other dogs, explained that she was on a long training lead and that she was a lurcher.

his advice was to keep her on the long line but use a choke chain as well :eek:
    good job i never listened really :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice