Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What's the tastiest raw thing?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by bogie, Sep 12, 2013.

1. bogie

bogie PetForums Junior

We've had Henry a couple of weeks now and I'm slowly getting somewhere in my attempts to wean him off 3 years of RC indoor biscuits and Dreamies.

Poor lad doesn't seem to know what to do with food that isn't a biscuit! I took him for an initial vet check up and she said he was "very overweight". He's a big BSH and the previous owners said the vets had told them he was ok for his size, but I thought he had a few too many rolls of fat. Looking at those condition charts, he's pretty much a 4/5. He weighs 7.9 kilos, which I know can be average for a British, but I do think he's a bit hefty!

So I'm not only trying now to get him onto wet/raw food, I'm hoping some weight loss might come with it. He's reaaaaally active actually and loves racing about playing. The vet said just being with us in a more active environment might shift a few pounds anyway.

Anyway, each day I've been trying to tempt him with something that isn't a biscuit. He's sampled everything from Lily's Kitchen, to Catz Finefood, to Gourmet, Sheba, Felix, Whiskers, P@H, to Lidl cheapy jobby. The only thing he actually really likes (loves, in fact) is the Sheba fine food trout with herbs.
    He has literally walked away from nearly everything else with barely a sniff. He did eat half the Lidl Coshida stuff and some felix in jelly, but everything else, no thanks!

He has NO IDEA what to do with chicken. Won't touch anything with chicken in. Won't touch a little piece cooked or raw. It's like he doesn't know what it is!
    He wouldn't eat a tiny piece of raw mince, he ignored a prawn, he walked off from a piece of bacon fat, he turned his nose up at a bit of ham, he wouldn't even go near a cube of cheese :D:D Nothing, in fact, that resembles food as food should be!

But he will woof down a plate of Sheba with trout and herbs. So I'm guessing I've found the baseline on which to build!

What would you recommend I do next?
    Should I give him a couple of weeks to adjust now to his Sheba while I take down the number of biscuits, then try to add things to the same bowl? He is really savvy. I still give him some biscuits at night but if I even so much as put a blob of wet food in the same bowl, he walks away (unless it's sheba with trout LOL)

What would be the tastiest raw thing I could attempt to mix with it first??

Just want to add - I don't intend to keep him on the Sheba. I just wanted to get him onto anything wet so I could then start to improve the meat content as he gets used to it

#1 bogie, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  2. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I would remove the biscuits completely, he might be more inclined to try something new. Spid wrote a post about "tough love" I was having problems with April and enforced the tough love approach.

Turkey mince went down with April first, them introduced pork and rabbit for some reason she prefers white meats to dark ones but won't touch raw chicken only cooked chicken :rolleyes:

Last weekend I was cutting up diced lamb - she doesn't like lamb, however she decided she did and woofed down 4 cubes :)

It's a little trial and error really. If she is feeling a little picky I crumble on some thrive (white fish is favourite) although she seems to have sussed if she is picky she gets her thrive treat anyway, so might as well sprinkle it on to start with :D

#2 Cookieandme, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Gulp...he ignores bacon and cheese? One tough cat!
    All parts of the pig are highly prized by my gang, Sainsburys do a £2 pack of pork shoulder steaks which are fought over, and pigs kidneys never last long.

4. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I think the post said bacon fat - on a Sunday I now cook an extra rasher as they expect it now anyway, saves me loosing my butty :D

5. Citrineblue

Citrineblue PetForums VIP

The absolute favourite here is cut up Quail on the bone. All 5 of mine adore it, the new kittens took to that first above the mince! And growl when eating it. I've even taken some over to our neighbour's cats who aren't fed RAW apart from when I've done a load of mince and they've taken to it straight away.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice