Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What's the quickest you've had a cat settle in?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by robedha, Aug 23, 2013.

1. robedha

robedha PetForums Member

I was just wondering how quickly your cats settled in after getting them?
    I think I was blessed with Willow.
    This photo was taken the day I brought her home.
    And the video the day after. (Click on the big picture for the video)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. muffin789

muffin789 PetForums Senior

Pudds was my first cat after losing my two previous rescues, and it took her a good three weeks to find her feet - worried me at first.

She joined me at the end of Jan this year, and Libby came home at the end of June. Took them a couple of weeks to adjust to not hissing or batting each other, and now they play-wrestle quite happily all day!

PS Pudds was 4 or so when she came home and had been an only cat since before Xmas last year, and Libby was somewhere around a year. I understand it's often easier for established cats to accept additions if they're still quite young.

3. robedha

robedha PetForums Member

I'm so pleased they came to love each other. I hope I have as much success when I get my second.

4. Messyfreckle

Messyfreckle PetForums Junior

Milo was instantaneous... Got him home, opened the carrier and he ran straight to the scratch post, had a wee scratch, then over to me for cuddles.

Was amazing. He seems to settle instantly wherever he is. When I take him to my parents house a few times a month, he's straight on the sofa for cuddles then curls up by the radiator!

5. ljs85

ljs85 PetForums VIP

I've been fairly lucky I think. Nearly all my cats have settled in instantaneously :D Apart from Ezri who hid in the wardrobe for about an hour but then she was fine.

I've also been quite lucky in the intros department too (apart from Tabatha not being overly keen :( ) and all my current cats took only a few days before the hissing stopped and the chasing wrestling began :D

6. munchkinpie

munchkinpie PetForums VIP

Reo took a while he screamed for his mum for two whole days, the breeder did say he was a mummy's boy. Roman settled no bother but Reo took time to adjust. The most laid back iv seen was reos mum who came to live with my in laws, we really didnt expect it due to her being older but traveled well, came in and went in her bed and went to sleep.

7. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

The loveliest homecoming I can remember is when we went to Cats Protection and had a choice of two brothers and, because we felt we couldn't have both, we chose the friendlier of the two, a big black and white boy. I remember feeling so guilty leaving the other one behind and when I looked back, I saw his little face looking so worried about where his brother was going and he seemed to be saying "aren't you taking me?", Barney, as we called the big boy who had a personality to match his size, walked straight into the house as if he'd always lived here and settled down immediately. I couldn't get his brother out of my mind and kept looking on the website for weeks and was so relieved when I saw he had found a home. However, about a fortnight later, there he was, back on the website again! I felt do sorry for him and convinced myself that he was meant to stay with his brother and we should have him. I put it to my partner thinking he would say no but he didn't, which made me think even more it was meant to be. When I enquired of Cats Protection, they said he had escaped from his new home and, when caught, the owners didn't want him back as they'd decided to get a dog! The day we brought Mouse, as Sep km called him, home, which was three months after we had brought Barney home, as soon as they saw each other, they literally ran to greet one another, touching noses and miaowing, it was lovely to see. You could almost see Barney telling Mouse "it's OK here, don't worry". Barney died four years later but we still have little Mouse.

Quinzell likes this.
  8. egyptianreggae

egyptianreggae PetForums VIP

That's such a lovely story, some things are obviously just meant to be. Mouse had a lucky escape from those foolish fickle folk.

9. robedha

robedha PetForums Member

What lovely stories. I really want to go to the shelter today but I don't think it will be fair to introduce a new cat when I only have a couple of days off work. I know that if I go I will come hone with one

10. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

This brought a tear to my eye. What a beautiful ending :)

All of ours have taken a while to settle in other than Bubba, the stray who chose us. He turned up one day and pretty much stayed in our garden for several months. He was a fighter so we couldn't risk letting him in with ours but after a fight which resulted in a nasty infection we brought him into our spare room to recover. One of our cats managed to get in the room, walked up to him and it was as if they had already been together forever. Our other cats were all the same and so the decision to have him move in had already been made for us :)

11. oggers86

oggers86 PetForums VIP

Elsa settled in quicker than Elise who spent some of the day hiding, some of the day exploring. The first evening she jumped on the sofa and cuddled up to us. She is the more skittish of the two still and it takes her a while to soften up to visitors.

Posted from Petforums.co.uk App for Android

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice