Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

What's the most high value dog treat?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sighthounds, Nov 8, 2018.

1. sighthounds

sighthounds PetForums Junior

What training treats get your dogs super excited?
    Liver, chicken, veggies, shop-bought.. or something totally different? Please let me know your secrets and recipes :)

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Fishy mainly, but anything edible will do

3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Liver cake - can also be made with tuna.

A pack of liver (supermarket packs are usually about 500 grams)
    About 250 grams of flour - I use gluten free as some dogs are gluten intolerant
    1 egg
    A slosh of olive oil or salmon oil for a glossy coat (optional)

Cut the liver into pieces and use a hand blender to blitz it with the egg until it's a sloppy mess. Stir in the oil if using and the flour. It still should be a sloppy mess.

Turn into a parchment lined baking tray measuring about 6"x9". It shold be about an inch deep.

Bake at 170 degrees for about 15 minutes until a knife comes out clean.

When it's cold, cut into kit kat finger sized pieces - half them again for a smaller dog - and freeze them in a freezer bag. They freeze in separate pieces so you can take out one at a time and break into smaller pieces for training.

Dogs love it, it has no sugar, salt or other nasties and lasts for weeks. It also is cheap to make - a recent survey showed some dog treats to be more epensive, ounce for ounce, than fillet steak!

4. Northpup

Northpup PetForums Senior

Lamb! I guess it’ll depend on what their regular feed is too. Stan gets sardines and chicken with his food often so those aren’t that special anymore.
    Fish and chip shop sausage (rarely go but we’ll get him one if we do)
    Lamb or beef
    He loves carrots but not many dogs will choose veg over meat. Boiled baby carrots with butter are an extra luxurious one compared to a regular slice of one from the fridge

5. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

What ever your dog thinks is high value. My neighbours dog thought his blue squeaky ball with pink bone pattern was higher than any food treat I could offer.

Lay out a range of treats and see what your dog picks first. Also bare in mind that the value may change depending on the context.

Value can also change depending how often the treat/reward is presented ie its scarcity or who else is competing to get it.

BlueJay, Torin. and adamantis like this.
  6. Maria_1986

Maria_1986 Crazy Guinea Pig Lady

For Chevy it was smoked salmon as her top level, super duper amazing treat- it was the only substance that could compete with a squirrel! For regular training though she would get excited by her own normal kibble, with fish4dogs training treats being her normal lower mid range value treat and cheese being up at the top.

Chester cheese is nearly always right up there, hot dog works well too, ham it depends on his mood, sometimes he loves it and sometimes he doesn't seem as keen. However a squeaky ball is his fav reward.

7. Northpup

Northpup PetForums Senior

Oh gosh yes! Forgot about cheese!! Extra strong cheddar is like a drug for mine

8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Cocktail sausages !

9. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

oven dried liver pieces
    webbox liver treats
    primula prawn and ham spread

and because my dog is just plain weird pieces of butternut squash

10. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

For Izzy she loves cooked chicken, blackberries, sausages, liver!, fish treats, semi-moist treats. But anything rolled along the floor to chase becomes even more high value.

11. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Liver cake and Cheese

12. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums Member

Woody loves, cheese, roast chicken, roast lamb and roast beef, he also loves a bit of black pudding on occasion, liver dried out a bit in the oven, hot dog sausage and tiny cubes of spam! Yuck! To be honest though,nothing can really compare to his beloved ball! When I first got him he had no idea what to do with a ball at all, I had to teach him how to play with it, now it is his favourite thing of all time.

13. KSvedenmacher

KSvedenmacher PetForums Junior

Yoda loves hot dog or liver (slow dried in the oven). He is not too fond of liver cake as it makes his poo runny. He loves cheese as well, but it makes him so gassy, so I only use it if I don’t have anything else at hand.

As kittih says, it’s really what your dog values as treats. I tried a few different things before finding what Yoda loves.

14. XemzX

XemzX PetForums VIP

For Jonesy it is literally anything edible! Though leaning more towards smelly for high value treats, though he will work for literally anything :Hilarious
    Addy is more particular though loves garlicky sausage treats and cooked chicken :)

15. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

IMG_5006.JPG For sox turkey breast if I have to emergency stop him I call turkey! Lily god knows anything I take she spits out but would do anything for her ball. Below is sox sitting for turkey.

Northpup likes this.
  16. Katalyst

Katalyst A Lanky Lurcher and a Delinquent Dobermann

I find cheap tinned hot dogs and squeezy cheese to be pretty good go-to high value treats. Liver cake is also a favourite here but I always include some garlic when I make it. Just a heads up... it'll stink your house out.

JoanneF and Boxer123 like this.
  17. BlueJay

BlueJay Pee on it and walk away

Rory looooooooooves Ellas Kitchen baby food :D
    Basically blitzed up fruit in a squeezy pouch. Goes banonkers for them!

Super stinky garlic sausages from here are Frodo crack
    https://natural-treats.co.uk/

18. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

melon and home made peanut butter biscuits.:)
    Not sure why melon is so popular but all 4 of mine go nuts for it and my old family dog did too.:Bored

19. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

Liver cake, i cant stand the smell though so won't make it myself, so it gets bought for him. Cheese. Anything fishy. There the 3 Samson seems to find most rewarding :)

20. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

For Emma ANYTHING YOU PRETEND TO EAT YOURSELF FIRST!
    Seriously its dried sprats & Philly cheese in a squeezy tube

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice