Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

whats the law on.....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rhiannon, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Rhiannon

Rhiannon PetForums Member

selling products containing home reared eggs????
    Ive scoured DEFRA and cant find didly-squat on using my own home reared eggs for my cake business. They are ex-batts now free ranging in the garden and have had every innoculation going.
    someone said that because the eggs are cooked I can go ahead but Id rather check first....dont want a nasty law suit in my first year!!!!

2. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

perhaps e-mail them...dunno, i would never have thought about it..but yeah i suppose you need to cover everything..
    What you making?

3. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

As far as I'm aware, as long as you have less than 50 hens then you don't have to register with the GBPR (Great Britain Poultry Register) and nor do you have to tell Defra a thing.

This is what I extracted from a Defra document covering the legislation surrounding the sale of eggs. Specifically, this chapter concerns egg producers.

Food industry egg processors:

- must be approved by their local authority (the competent authority for food industry) as a food business operator for egg products.

- approval subject to premises & procedures satisfying the conditions laid down in Section X Chapter II of
    Regulation 853/2004 (EC) for the production of egg products intended for human consumption.

Whether or not that applies to small-scale food production from home, I have absolutely no idea.

4. Rhiannon

We make everything Cake-ish, from Wedding cakes and Birthday cakes to Muffins and Cupcakes and now every day sponge cakes for farm shops. Think It would be great if I could use fresh home reared ex-battery hen eggs in by cakes.

5. Rhiannon

Thanks for that, I think Ill get back in touch with my local council to get clarification as they already know I have the hens on the property.

6. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

sorry...if i had scrolled down a bit further on your post i would have read the cake bit :lol::lol:

but yes..a sponge cake made with a free range egg is so different...so much more colour..and flavour..we also have our own chucks :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice