Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whats the difference in temperament between a dog or bitch?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by JimbobB, Jan 6, 2012.

1. JimbobB

JimbobB PetForums Newbie

I dont know what sex to choose. Is there a difference between the sex`s after they have been neutered? Thinking of getting a Bedlington Terrier if this make any difference.

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Everybody will tell you something different coz its more down to personality then sex.
    For example I have a couple of laid back, placid bitches and a totally high strung, bitchy dog!!LOL:lol:

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I believe that it depends on the breed and individual dog. I was told by a few folk that male RRs could be a little more headstrong and harder to train, yet more laid back and bitches easier to train, 'sharper' and more guarding.

4. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

Iv found bitches to be a little more aloof, and boys to be more cuddlier, the bitches tend to be a bit warier of strangers but the boys are louder...but having said that Iv got the soppiest bitch ever who wants nothing more than to sit on my knee and cuddle, and a boy who doesn't particularly want much human contact apart from with me. And Iv got a boy who is a right little hussy and wants to be with you constantly and is basically a big softie...

so yeah..my theories don't really go together do they :S
    Iv confused myself now , sorry :lol:

5. Longton Flyball

Longton Flyball PetForums Senior

Not that this will help you but I have a male border collie who is almost an angel until he has his usual I can do what I like when I like coz I'm a mummy's boy. He hasn't been neutered but he's still the most chilled boy in the world except when he wants to hump my husband :lol:

We were always told that border collie bitches are loving and doscile...hmm really I got a faulty one she's nuts and never stops but is loving and she's been spayed :confused1:

6. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

I have a bitch and a dog - both neutered. They are both different but both great pets - I think a lot is down to personality rather than gender... Personally... I think for a pet bedlington terrier, choosing a healthy puppy from great parents and raising it well would be far more important then the gender - that's a personal preference so choose whichever you are happier with!

Hope this helps,
    Naomi

7. staffybella

staffybella PetForums Junior

apparrently girls make better guard dogs because they're more alert and will check stuff out, boys seem calmer and more laid back to me but can be more stubborn

8. Catz1

Catz1 PetForums VIP

Rio is my first bitch and I've found that she matured a little quicker then my dogs. Shes very cuddly and soppy like the boys but more serious when we train. She picked up commands slower then any of my boys but preforms them more reliably (that could just be because we had to practice more). Really there is no major difference in males and females. They are both very affectionate and intelligent but it varys in individual dogs and breeds.
    The only significant difference I've found in my dogs is males hike their leg while females squat :D

9. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

Someone said to me the other week "a male rottie would die for you....a rottie bitch would push you infront of a bus" :lol:
    In our family we have 3 male dogs and 2 bitches, the bitches are a bit more independant than the males who prefer attention but the bitches are the 1s more likely to stay by our side on walks, the males are also more playful.

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I much prefer bitches and would never choose a dog puppy, though I have owned rescue dogs. I find bitches much more affectionate and loyal. I have never really clicked with any of the dogs we have had in the way I have with bitches.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice