Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What's the difference between and abcess and a tumour?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by polishrose, Aug 25, 2013.

1. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I mean how can I tell which is which?One of my daughter's mice has a lump on the side of her neck-about the size of a malteser and it wasn't there 2 days ago-it looks like it has a shiny blister on the top so I'm leaning towards it being an abcess or I think possible the cat may have caught her through the bars with a claw(she is banned from there now).Can I do anything at home?She is running around as normal and eating and drinking and playing and hasn't lost any weight.I have hibiscrub at home and a tiny bit of baytril left.I tried to have a feel of it but she's so quick and wriggly and I was scared of hurting her.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I'm no expert, but if there is no sign of a wound, I doubt it is an abscess.

I know rats are very susceptible to tumours, both benign and malignant (one of mine had one surgically removed, but I wish I hadn't put her through the op, because another one grew quite quickly afterward.)

I would get it checked by a vet, but depending on the age of the mouse I would probably leave it be if it is diagnosed as a tumour.

3. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

abscess' are liquid filled (puss) lumps which are essentially an infection, i find you can generally smell abscess, before they burst if you sniff the area really close, but then again im very sensative to the smell of them lol, tumors are harder.

4. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

Gideon had an abcess a while back that had no visable marks but a Huge lump- i naturally thought tumor, so went to the vets and told them that. her reply was, 'so we're expecting tumor but hoping for puss?' and she left the room with him to go and poke at it a bit...
    well i've never seen a woman so happy to be covered in rat puss as when she walked back in to that room! she'd thought from the density and lack of wound that it must have been a tumor- but abscess!!!!!

5. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

I recently had to deal with one of my ratties abcess which initially I thought was a tumour as I'd never seen an abcess like it. It was the size of a golf ball but when I walked into the lounge to see denzel biting at the area I got him out and was greeted by green pus just like mushy peas. I've never been so happier to see an abcess. There were loads of it coming away. It left a huge hole in his neck it also took 2 weeks to fully heal properly and that was with 3 times a day salt water bathing.

If I were you I'd try to put a warm compress on the lump area to see if it comes to a head. If it doesn't and over the next few days ulcerates then its a tumour ad this is what happened to dooey my rat.

6. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Thanks I'll try the warm compress on it if I can work out how to apply it to a very small wriggly mouse and see how it goes over a few days-if no change or it doesn't burst I'll take her to the vets on Tuesday.

7. fatrat

fatrat PetForums Member

Generally, in my experience, if it's hard it's an abscess, if it's soft/squidgy it's a tumor.

8. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

This hasn't been the case with abcesss I've come across.

9. CRL

CRL Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

abscesses are satisfying, tumours are not. :001_huh:
    ask any rat owners what they would rather have. a tumour or abscess. squeezing them is rather enjoyable. whereas tumours nearly always mean surgery.
    :)

10. CRL

the best way ive found to tell which is which is to get the vet to use a needle. when he draws it out it will be filled with pus or nothing. if filled with pus then its an abcess that he can drain for you. and if it has nothing then its more than likely a tumour.

11. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Quick update on meecey-the lump started oozing yesterday so I squeezed it and loads of blood and green stuff came out.It's still quite big but didn't want to squeeze too much so bathed it and will have another go in a minute.

12. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

thats good :) if you have a syringe to hand you can try flushing the crap out with saline solution

13. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Ooooh lovely :D

14. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

another happy puss covered lady!!
    it'll smell 'lovely' in a day or so just so ya know!
    if it doesnt seem to be clearing quick enough you can get the vet to make a small draining incision to help it clear quicker (lancing)
    hope the wee love feels better soon!

15. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

OK not sure it's an abcess...it doesn't smell at all.The stuff coming out is grey and lumpy and there's lots of blood.I squeezed quite a bit out today and the lump now looks saggy.There's a big hole too.Here's 2 pics(sorry) of the lump half way through squeezing and second pic is a pic of a bit that came out.Oops hang on pic 2 coming-not on the pc yet

Attached Files:

16. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Here's pic 2-no close ups sorry lol

I spoke with a vet on the phone and she advised to bring her in tomorrow morning.

Attached Files:

#16 polishrose, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  17. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Could've been a cyst?
    If not the tumour?:confused:

That doesn't look like the pus I've dealt with in the past from abcess's

18. CRL

looks like a cyst. my Wraythe had what i thought was an absess, i squezzed gently and this came out

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      64.6 KB
      Views:
  19. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Eww. We have vets at 4:40pm today.

20. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Oh do let us know how you get on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice