Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What's the best way to give kitten tablets

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by KittyKat1, Aug 9, 2009.

1. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

The vet prescribed Ronaxan tablets for his cat flu, the only trouble is that it is very difficult to get him to take them.
    I was wondering if anybody has advice on the best ways of getting cats to take tablet medication?

Thanks!

2. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

An age old problem LOL! ;) I usually give tablets in cheese as all mine would kill for some cheese! I just mould the cheese round the tablet. I've also used wafer thin ham or chicken, or a Thrive chicken treat (soaked to moisten) and push the tablet into that, or cut open a prawn and pop tab into that, or a cube of raw beef. :) I know some people use those Webbox sticks, but I've not tried them.

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I mash the tablets in butter and spread it on their paws :thumbup:

4. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Sounds really cruel but I get hubby to keep their mouth open put the tablet right to the back of the tongue and then close their mouth and keep it closed until the swallow it.

This is what the vet told me to do, they even suggested blowing it down their throat with a straw but never had to do this. My cats were never bothered by us doing this and once they had them we give them a treat.

Failing that, ask the vet if there is anyway they can give them the injection. My kitten had cat flu at 12 weeks and they did that as they said he was so little to give tablets.

Sharon
    x

5. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

Thanks everybody! i put it into his food and it was devoured. I also had my OH open his mouth but that was a no go as he kept spitting the tablet out!

Thanks for all your suggestions. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice