UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I have decided I need to use treats in recall training but I would like some advice which is the best treat to use that would be the healthy for my labrador puppy. I dont want to give her something that is fatty or could help her put on weight..some people have suggested using her own dry food but I would like some that is special and saved just for her recalling training....any healthy ideas please ???????

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Home made liver cake, smells vile but it's absolutely brilliant at helping train dogs.

Liver Cake
350g liver (any amount will do, this just happens to be the size of an Asda packet of liver)
1 egg
2 cloves of garlic, or a tsp of garlic powder
1 tbsp olive oil
150g of self-raising flour
Put the liver, egg, garlic and the oil in a food processor, whizz until it is a smooth paste. Mix the flour in gradually until the mixture resembles a sponge cake mix, add more or less flour if needed (depends on the amount of liver) I do this by hand and not in the processor.
Pour out onto a baking tray lined with foil, and spread out over the tray.
Bake at 350 degrees in the oven for about 20 mins, test with a skewer and if it comes out clean, its ready, I leave it to finish cooling in the oven.
Slice into small cubes and freeze in training sized portions until needed.
Will keep in the fridge for about 4 days.

The recipe says 2 cloves of garlic but I put 4 in.

You only need tiny bits of it so a slab does last a long time, just be prepared for all the other dogs in the park following you around once they get a whiff of it :p.

Terri

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Mine have liver or cheese but the other week we went into sainsburies and on the deli they were selling of whole rolls of liver sausage. I paid 60p kg they love it its in the freezer and I cut of enough for training or as bait for shows and defrost just what I need.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
I use rice cakes for treats, they have hardly any calories and my dogs love them! can get them in marmite flavour too, YUK lol.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use rice cakes for treats, they have hardly any calories and my dogs love them! can get them in marmite flavour too, YUK lol.
oh wow...never thought of rice cakes...i am after a treat that is very healthy as my hubby is not too keen about our puppy having any other food apart from her meals and we both dont want her to get fat at all.....she is a labrador and will eat anything so i guess she will eat rice cakes

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I use slithers of hot dog sausages!
DT
same here, very small pieces of hot dog sausages from tins (tesco value work :p) and my GSD who doesnt like food generally will do anything for you :p small pieces of liver also work well.
With a Lab you shouldnt have too many problems with what it wont eat :p

*Heidi*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.