Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Whats the best thing to do?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by harley bear, Jan 9, 2012.

1. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

Well since we have had vegas and poppy because we are unable to use the back garden at the minute they have been using the front to to their toileting ..all well and good in the winter but now summer is upon us (i like to plan ahead) the dogs have wrecked my front garden the grass is all muddy and patchy and i was just wondering what my best approach would be? Should i knock off the top layer and just returf it or attempt grass seed?
    I want my kids to be able to use the grass area in the summer..its not a large area but its better than nothing while were waiting on a time and date to get the back sorted.

So what would be best lol

2. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

Grass seed takes ages to come through and you'd need to keep everything off it while it grows.
    Turf is an immediate lawn and you can use it strait away.

We have just booked to have our back garden installed with artificial lawn, which means no upkeep and the dogs won't ever ruin it [garanteed for 10years]
    no muddy paw prints :D

Its hygienic too as you can just hose it down :)

3. retepwaker

retepwaker PetForums Member

What until the summer is here then ask at your local garden center that is if we ever get a summer this year

4. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I would take top layer off, lightly rake it all over, add some top soil to level out if needed, then re TURF it. Dont walk on it for a week to let it settle, wait until the weather gets a bit nicer coz its too cold at the moment.

5. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

was just gonna suggest that stuff! Saw it on a gardening make over thingy a bit back, thought what a great idea it is. Looks like the real deal too.

6. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

I cant be ar$ed with grass at all, lol! Ours is all paved! :D

That didnt help ya much did it?? LOL! :p

7. harley bear

OH has decided he wants grass ..itold him it HAS to be sorted before the baby comes lol

8. harley bear

I would have it all paved...BUT you know the few slabs we have out the front ..i asked for a quote to just have them replaced and that quote was in excess of £500 i laughed at the guy and said 'well you know where you can shove that quote' :eek: Shame my OH is bloody useless at stuff like that :rolleyes:

9. gorgeous

gorgeous PetForums VIP

Grass is expensive - might be worth pricing it up which might influence your decision.

Personally I would have an area for the dogs to toilet that is separate to where your young children play.

Grass is the best I think for young kids.:)

10. harley bear

They have only been using that area because i cant let them out the back at the mo..its only a small area to re-grass so it wont cost the earth to do and oh is going to have to sort out a small area round the back where the dogs can be kept during the day so the kids can have the front garden back and all fresh for them to play.

11. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Shame we didnt live nearer - OH wouldn have done it for ya at a fraction of that price, lol!

12. harley bear

LOL were doing the grass first, then the slabs then will have to move on to the back.
    After a looooonnnnnng conversation with the council yesterday they had no clue what so ever who it was that came to look at the wall in the back garden just before xmas and they still have the job booked on for the wall to be replaced :confused: still no timescale!!! So we will just have to have a make shift pen in the back for the dogs to pee an poop and get the front done for the boys because it aint fair on them having no garden to play in at all is it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice