Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What's the best food for a Puppy?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by amanda123, Jul 13, 2009.

1. amanda123

amanda123 PetForums Member

Hi All

We are getting a new puppy in a few weeks. What food would you recommend? Wet or Dry? Any particular brand or type?

She is a French Bulldog/ Miniature Pinscher cross

Amanda

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i would keep her on the food she is used to initially as pups tums are sensetive to sudden change.

if she is doing well on it i wouldnt change it.

but if you do have a preference for a different food buy a small bag / just a few tins and change her over very gradually a little bit of new a bit less old keep going over about 10 to 14 days until she is on the new food on its own.

as for preference it is a huge market out there and loads of choices.

depends on your budget and if she has / develops allergies to certain food stuff etc.

there is a site that compares foods , dry and wet but for the life of me i cant remember what it's called. someone here will know.

3. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

Hi

I asked this question too, not long ago, as I am getting my pug puppy on Saturday.

Most people advised a mix of dry (Arden Grange) and wet (Nature Diet). Both do puppy versions.

I went to my local petshop and they gave me some free samples of the Arden Grange and I have bought a couple of packs of Nature Diet.

My breeder is currently feeding Chum and I will gradually add the new food in the with the Chum until I have completely changed over.

Good luck!

4. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

my puppy is on bakers but it is really not good for dogs as it is basicly full of s*** lol so i have orderd a 15kg bag of alpha sporting puppy...around £18 pound if u have a local pet shop they can order dog food in for you..i changed my pups diet as soon as i got her didnt take her long to adjust!! but yeh i was adviced alpha depends what ur price range is!!:) i was also told to keep her on dry...she passes really bad wind on wet food lol

5. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Our 13 week old puppy is on Puppy/junior Nature diet and she loves it and is doing really well on it. It's 79p at Pets at Home but I found some online for £11.95 for a case of 18 which works out at around 66p each so not bad.:)

6. amanda123

amanda123 PetForums Member

Thanks everyone!

7. rona

rona Guest

It's best to keep your puppy on what the breeder is feeding, at least until he/she has settled in

8. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

if youre feeding dry always make sure meat is the 1st ingredient & never buy a feed that contains animal derivatives:) i fed mine on Arden grange.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice